Using references to memes as "Easter eggs"?

Started by
3 comments, last by BradleyAuerbach 1 year ago

In the restaurant game I plan on making (this kind of game was mentioned in some of my previous posts), one of the mechanics will involve “rival” restaurants. Would I be violating copyrighted if one of the rivals was a cat-themed burger restaurant called “I Can Haz Burgers”?

Advertisement

I don't get the joke but as a general rule of the thumb, if you have doubts either stay away from it (if you have doubts others will surely also have them and may act on it), or go to a lawyer for a more definitive answer.

( That is, are you willing to risk being forced to take down your game due to receiving a cease and desist letter?? )

Probably not a copyright issue, but the term is trademarked by Literally Media Ltd., and many of the thematic elements are protected by various laws around trade dress and similar.

This is a creative industry, create something new of your own. If you decide you absolutely must use some references to elements you don't own, talk to a lawyer and discuss both the risks, and the possibility of getting permission. Sometimes it is as simple as asking.

@frob OK then!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement