Games that actually finish/release..?

Started by
12 comments, last by Vilem Otte 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello folks. I write music mainly for TV and film, but have been a keen gamer for years and years.

Been wanting to write music for a game for a while, but the last 4 projects I've come aboard fell apart far short of completion and release. How can I avoid this situation in future?

Here's a variety of music, just to give an idea of my work (which certainly does get finished and released…)

https://play.reelcrafter.com/i0F5whqNSjuvhh06WRNPIQ

Advertisement

Cathbad said:
the last 4 projects I've come aboard fell apart far short of completion and release. How can I avoid this situation in future?

To reply to your question: most hobby projects do tend to wither short of completion and release. Shall we assume that the projects you've joined have been hobby projects? Or, if you've been working professionally in TV and film, then are we to instead assume that you've been hired by mainstream game studios and those projects got cancelled? There is no secret answer for how to get hired for projects that will be completed and released. You'll just have to keep trying.

I don't know how you think your question relates to your music demo reel (you seem to be sharing your demo reel AND asking an unrelated question). If you want to offer your volunteer services for hobby projects, you can post in our Hobby Project Classifieds board (we don't have a place to offer paid services), but know that a LOT of composers post there and get precious little interest. If you want other game musicians to critique your tracks, you can post in our Music and Sound FX forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Only join projects that are already close to completion. The further along the project is, the more likely it'll actually get finished. As a musician you aren't really needed for the early stages of development because most other parts of the game can be completed without the music.

Also, don't throw away unused music just because the project failed. Assuming you still have the copyright to the music, you can try to reuse it for future projects, try to sell it as stock music, or give it away as free stock music.

@cathbad , why is your name not on your demo reel? The web page has no mention of who you are or what else you've done besides making the pieces on the page.

a light breeze said:

Only join projects that are already close to completion. The further along the project is, the more likely it'll actually get finished. As a musician you aren't really needed for the early stages of development because most other parts of the game can be completed without the music.

Also, don't throw away unused music just because the project failed. Assuming you still have the copyright to the music, you can try to reuse it for future projects, try to sell it as stock music, or give it away as free stock music.

Thanks mate, good points. Material can usually be recycled or re-worked.

Tom Sloper said:

@cathbad , why is your name not on your demo reel? The web page has no mention of who you are or what else you've done besides making the pieces on the page.

Thanks for taking the time to reply twice. I don't give explanations about how I present my work, credits and personal information.

Cathbad said:
I don't give explanations about how I present my work, credits and personal information.

My point in raising the question was that since nobody's name is on that web page, ANYBODY can claim it's their own demo reel. If you apply for a job and offer that web page, it's not convincing as a portfolio/demo reel, since your name isn't on it. For all we know, it represents the work of someone else, not you.

Tom Sloper said:

Cathbad said:
I don't give explanations about how I present my work, credits and personal information.

My point in raising the question was that since nobody's name is on that web page, ANYBODY can claim it's their own demo reel. If you apply for a job and offer that web page, it's not convincing as a portfolio/demo reel, since your name isn't on it. For all we know, it represents the work of someone else, not you.

How fortunate, then, that I don't give a damn about convincing you of anything.

It should at least say “cathbad” on it somewhere. You're willing to share that much personal info.

Tom Sloper said:

It should at least say “cathbad” on it somewhere. You're willing to share that much personal info.

Shush now.

Looking at it with a resume-reading glasses, I have to agree with Tom here.

First there is no name, no descriptions, nothing but a generic old-time photo for background. It could be anybody's music, it could be yours, it could be a collection you found online, it isn't linked to anyone and says nothing but titles. As portfolio pieces nothing particularly stands out to me, you've got a bunch of ambient music tracks with a fairly similar emotional feel.

For a demo reel I would look for those same ambient feel, plus at least one “sizzle” song that is upbeat and active and it's own self-story, a title song with pacing and tone common for story introductions, and a set of character themes worked into multiple styles to show you can do it.

Cathbad said:
fell apart far short of completion and release. How can I avoid this situation in future?

Pick better projects. Hobby projects almost universally are commercial failures. They're great for learning and exploring, but you should not expect them to be completed nor brought to market.

Even professional, well-funded commercial projects have a high failure and shutdown rate, with projects dying on the vine before final publication for many reasons.

You're probably also aware of it, but just a reminder that composition is an extremely rare position. A single skilled composer might support an entire studio with 3+ teams and multiple projects. A large studio may have 200 or 300 workers and still only a single composer, that is 200:1, 300:1, maybe even 500:1 for the job. It is one of the least likely routes into the game industry. As a professional job it is rare, more often it is contract work for a single project, and also usually the work is “I know someone who does this”, or “I know about someone who worked on other projects, can one of the producers contact him?” rather than solicited bids with demo reels looking for the best composer among many applicants.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement