🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

isometric tiling

Started by
35 comments, last by pbivens67 10 months, 1 week ago

You write a function that computes the position with your isometric conversion code, and then plots the rectangle at the computed position.

Advertisement

Alberth said:

Try it:

The 3 tiles at the left are all 128 x 64, top-left corner is at (0, 0), (0, 64), (0, 128).

At the right a composed example.

EDIT: I didn't notice before posting that you were already trying to go that path in another thread. I hope you get your image fixed.

how do I get to the composed example?

Let's take the green and red tiles. How many pixels is the latter moved from the former? (Both in x and y direction, horizontal and vertical thus, as the diagonal patterns of the isometric shape is an illusion that the computer doesn't know about.)

If I wanted to add another tile right-and-below the red tile, how many pixels would that new tile move relative to the red tile? How many pixels relative to the green tile? Can you predict the shift for the 4th tile?

how do I draw a transparent background around a sprite using paint?

pbivens67 said:

how do I draw a transparent background around a sprite using paint?

If you mean Microsoft Paint, as of Windows 10 you can't: only opaque colours are supported.

Use a drawing program that supports transparent PNG files well, such as GIMP or Graphics Gale.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

how do I draw transparent in GIMP?

LorenzoGatti said:
If you mean Microsoft Paint, as of Windows 10 you can't: only opaque colours are supported.

Windows 11 Paint still treats white as transparent if you select transparency while pasting in Paint. But that doesn't mean an image created in Paint will have transparency when used as a game asset.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:

But that doesn't mean an image created in Paint will have transparency when used as a game asset.

is there any way I can get transparency in my game sprites.

pbivens67 said:
is there any way I can get transparency in my game sprites.

Since apparently the Windows software is still in the dark about transparency in images, you either have to find an image tool that does know about it, or you can write a program for it.

Python should be feasible, eg https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-make-background-image-transparent-using-python/

well, I have figured out how to draw the with transparency I just need to crop the upper portion of the sprite image.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement