Best Techniques to get my proof of concept off the ground?

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to most everything in the world of game development.

If I have a proof of concept that I want to get going on, what advantages and disadvantages of crowd-sourcing (crowd-funding) in your experience for your idea?

What should my selling points be to get the most attention and be the most effective for getting support?

Thank you in advance!

Stea1thTrooper8

None

Advertisement

Stea1thtrooper8 said:
in your experience

Well, I've never tried crowd sourcing from the developer's standpoint, but still found this an interesting thought experiment.

It's an uncertain thing, the choice of chipping in.

Often it's the promise - being teased with stuff that scratch just the right itch. (this means there are no alternatives in the stores) combined with the likelihood that it'll get postponed indefinitely, that makes the choice difficult.

So from your perspective, that makes the main disadvantage that even though people like what they see, they might be too scared to join. I think this can be alleviated by showing off a near-finished prototype or presenting a competent team. Progress and credentials can definitely be reassuring for the crowd.

The advantages are that you get to gather and interact with the community (be careful about this) and getting money upfront without having a finished game - so perhaps you can take some weeks off to dedicate to development, sub-contract an artist or such, for that money.

Better just start working on it. If you have limited experience why should anyone give you money? Unless you can talk faster than Charles Ponzi, it's going to be hard to get anyone interested without something to show. Even then it might be hard.

@SuperVGA I've found that I tend to support projects on patreon when they have an available demo that will give extra levels/features when you start supporting the creator. I believe that ties into your point on having a near complete prototype. So perhaps getting the project to that demo-ready state should be the top priority for the crowdfunding route?

None

Stea1thtrooper8 said:
what advantages and disadvantages of crowd-sourcing (crowd-funding) in your experience for your idea? What should my selling points be

This is a Business question, so this thread is moved to the Games Business and Law forum. @stea1thtrooper8 , I recommend you read other posts and questions about crowdfunding and pitching in https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/23-games-business-and-law/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement