How to successfully "sell" your idea?

Started by
4 comments, last by Acosix 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi all,

Could you please help me figure out the best approach to sell my idea for a prototype and proof of concept in the game community? I have done some research to help present my proof of concept in a way that would capture peoples attention and hopefully generate support. “Market analysis: Extensive market research shows a growing demand for puzzle games, adventure titles, and family-friendly experiences. This game capitalizes on this trend by offering a unique blend of puzzle-solving, cooperative gameplay, and environmentally conscious narrative. Marketing and distribution plan: The marketing strategy for this game involves leveraging social media platforms, partnering with gaming influencers and content creators to generate buzz, and securing coverage from gaming media outlets. Distribution will primarily be through Steam and potentially reach PlayStation Network, Xbox Live and the Nintendo eShop. Competitive advantage: This game stands out in the market due to its captivating storytelling, emotionally driven gameplay, and focus on raising awareness about climate change. The game’s unique cooperative mechanics and strong environmental message differentiate it from other titles in the genre, providing a competitive advantage and fostering a dedicated player base. (please note I did not use the actual title just for privacy purposes, it's still a work in progress)”

Is this a good start in the right direction? I'm just looking for any advice from people who have pitched games before and what they found worked for them and what didn't.

Thank you all so much in advance.

None

Advertisement

LuminousLindsey said:

How to successfully "sell" your idea?

We can tell you how to pitch it (just like we told the others before you who have asked this, such as for instance https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/714703-pitching-a-new-game​​ two days ago). But it's extremely unlikely that such an endeavor will be successful. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try. You'll learn a lot. And good things might come of it (while not necessarily getting a green light for your project). Click that link and see that previous post.

Moving this thread to the Games Business and Law forum, because that's where all pitching and idea-selling queries belong. Check out some of the other posts about this same topic. Good luck.

By the way, your mission statement is pretty good but it needs competitive analysis. How do you back up your assertion, can you cite the market research with a link? And you need to cite specific games you're competing with, and say how your planned product will appeal to the players of those successful games.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

LuminousLindsey said:

I have done some research to help present my proof of concept in a way that would capture peoples attention and hopefully generate support. Thank you all so much in advance.

The question is do you have a proof of concept? A proof of concept in the software world used to mean, some incomplete demo which demonstrates the general ideas of the project. Recently I've seen people considering some quasi-design document as a proof of concept, however in my opinion that shouldn't qualify.

Let me put it this way. If you had an idea for a car, but had no experience building cars, how many people do you think would give you money to make your idea a reality? Somehow when it comes to game-dev many people don't do the same calculous.

Ideas are cheap. Everyone has ideas. Make a demo and show your ideas are worth something. Yes, it may take a ton of work, but that's the reality. I'm sure there are exceptions but those are few and far between.

Gnollrunner said:
Ideas are cheap. Everyone has ideas. Make a demo and show your ideas are worth something. Yes, it may take a ton of work, but that's the reality. I'm sure there are exceptions but those are few and far between.

Yes,

You need to make a demo/ prototype / vertical slice to SHOW proof of concept.

Marketing research is just one piece of the puzzle.

You need a solid team to execute as well., they need to have confidence that if they give you the money that you can GET THE JOB DONE.

They need to not just have confidence in the concept, but have confidence that you won't just take the money and run.

That you will put in the sweat equity., AN SO MUCH MORE.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This web site is about game development, not ideas. If you really want a game that sells well, you should
try developing one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement