gameplay programming to game design shifting

Started by
3 comments, last by patheros 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello,

I'm a CS graduate currently working as a gameplay programmer in Egypt. It's quite rare to find game studios here, but I am grateful for the opportunity to work in this industry. Despite being part of a small studio, we are all actively involved in game design, researching and discussing mechanics, storylines, and more. Although I don't dislike programming, I am finding that I have a stronger interest in game design. As a result, I have started to read books on the subject and now I am looking for a more professional environment, possibly through an internship at a game studio, even if it means working abroad.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to break into the game design field, considering my background in programming. I'm curious to know if my programming experience can be beneficial in pursuing a career in game design with the help of technology-oriented universe. customers can take 5 Survey’s per month per restaurant based on the restaurant’s quality and norms.

MYBKExperience

Advertisement

davidadley said:
Despite being part of a small studio, we are all actively involved in game design

Everyone in a small studio being actively involved in design is not “despite” being a small studio, but rather because of being a small studio.

davidadley said:
Although I don't dislike programming, I am finding that I have a stronger interest in game design.

Of course. It's a fascinating field.

davidadley said:
I'm curious to know if my programming experience can be beneficial in pursuing a career in game design.

Of course it can. A designer who can implement (and who understands the challenges of implementing) his designs makes a more attractive candidate for a design opening.

davidadley said:
advice on how to break into the game design field

Read my article “Playing the Upgrade-To-Designer Game” - and while you're on my site, explore the other article titles. While you're working with the Egyptian team, do your very best, most willingest and cooperative work, so you can get good references for later jobs.

By the way, this conversation has been moved to the Games Career Development forum, since you're asking a career question rather than a question about how to design games. Check out some of the other Q&As here in this forum for even more career advice.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I've hired game designers off freelance sites like Fiver before, so you could start off there to get some projects, and work your way up.

Have a programing background definitely is an asset as a designer. At a larger studio it's a great stepping stone to being a Technical Designer. On the smaller side it opens up being the sole developer and designer on a project.

I would encourage you to look for opportunities to help the designers at your current position. What parts of the design process do they like the least. Offer to help with those aspects.

You can also look for opportunities outside of work. A game jam would be an excellent place to stretch your design legs. Find a developer to work with or make something in a low code engine like game maker.

Another avenue I would suggest is try designing a board or card game. I think removing the digital element will really help you focus on learning what makes a game good. You can even test games digitally in something like Table Top Simulator.

In general I would encourage you to think about what makes a game fun. Think about what isn't fun. And think about tweaks you could make. This advice is easy to follow for physical games, games you are developing, or games that are easily scriptable or modable.

My last piece of advice is test you're changes early. Everything will be different once you get other people giving you feedback.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement