Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Introducing MyHomeGames – A Retro Gaming & Emulation Hub for Home Computers

Started by lucastancapiano May 24 at 5:21 PM 9 replies 1k views
Original Post
lucastancapiano
lucastancapiano

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to introduce MyHomeGames, a project I've been working on as a passion-driven platform centered around retro gaming, software emulation, and vintage computer games.

MyHomeGames is built for enthusiasts and developers who love classic titles and want to explore, preserve, and celebrate the golden era of home computing. The site features:

  • In-depth reviews of retro games (like the Temple of Apshai trilogy and the Dunjonquest series)

  • Tutorials and guides on emulation (SheepShaver, DOSBox, openMSX, MAME)

  • Tips for managing digital game collections and backups

  • Coverage of fan-made games and indie retro projects

  • A focus on macOS (including Apple Silicon) and Linux/Unix environments

As someone working in IT and software development, I've approached MyHomeGames with a technical mindset—writing clear scripts for automation, managing digital content, and diving deep into emulation settings and game mechanics.

I'm joining the Engines and Middleware forum to:

  • Connect with fellow developers interested in retro game engines and emulation tools

  • Share insights on running classic games on modern hardware

  • Learn from your experiences with game engines, middleware, and preservation techniques

  • Potentially collaborate on projects related to retro gaming and emulation

I'd love to hear your thoughts, recommendations, and any tips you might have for someone building a retro gaming community online. Feel free to check out the site and let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to exchanging ideas with you all.

Cheers,
Luca Stancapiano
MyHomeGames

Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper

@lucastancapiano , advertisements are not permitted in the Engines and Middleware forum - or in any of our discussion forums. Your thread has been moved to Your Announcements where some types of spam are permitted, provided they are relevant to game development.

-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
lucastancapiano
lucastancapiano

I'm looking for developers. Are you sure this isn't the right thread?

Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper

lucastancapiano wrote:

I'm looking for developers. Are you sure this isn't the right thread?

lucastancapiano wrote:

I'm joining the Engines and Middleware forum to:

Connect with fellow developers interested in retro game engines and emulation tools

Share insights on running classic games on modern hardware

Learn from your experiences with game engines, middleware, and preservation techniques

Potentially collaborate on projects related to retro gaming and emulation

You did not explicitly state that you were hiring/recruiting in your original post, which read more like an announcement.

If you want to recruit help, you can post again - use Hobby Project Classifieds (if all you have to offer as compensation is revshare) or Your Announcements (if you are offering pay in real time). You can also take a look at the new Teams feature. https://gamedev.net/teams/


-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
sophie-talks
sophie-talks

Welcome! It's always interesting seeing people keep classic titles playable on modern hardware. Out of curiosity, which platform has been the most rewarding for you to work with so far?

lucastancapiano
lucastancapiano

sophie-talks wrote:

Welcome! It's always interesting seeing people keep classic titles playable on modern hardware. Out of curiosity, which platform has been the most rewarding for you to work with so far?

Exactly the one I'm talking about in the post

bvanevery
bvanevery

lucastancapiano wrote:

In-depth reviews of retro games (like the Temple of Apshai trilogy and the Dunjonquest series)

Wow, that's certainly the way back machine! For some reason the title "Hellfire Warrior" has drifted in and out of my mind in recent months, although I haven't sought to play it. And it turns out I misremembered the title. I actually played Star Warrior.

Just wondering why I bothered to do that tactical mostly menu entry stuff when I was a kid. Think I got it as a bundle of several old Epyx titles. Temple of Apshai and Morloc's Tower sound familiar, although of these, the sci-fi themed Star Warrior got the time.

Crush, Crumble, and Chomp! was an all-around better game, due to animated character graphics. Some menu driven stat similarities, so getting some of the number crunching but more whiz bang effects for the effort spent. Those other Epyx games are using a much earlier game engine.



gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
bvanevery
bvanevery

lucastancapiano wrote:

Are you referring to something like this? 🙂

I meant exactly the titles I said. I know I played Star Warrior for fact, because I remember both the box artwork and the outdoor gameplay. As to which other Dunjonquest titles I played, I'm not sure, but I remember owning and paying for 2 or 3 that were actually about dungeons. Somehow these were bundled, but I can't find any info now about what bundle I might have purchased back then.


gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.