From AAA to Indie: Why I'm Changing the Way I Work
Five years ago I officially joined the game industry.
Since then I've specialized in environment and prop concept art, helping game teams transform gameplay ideas into believable visuals. More recently I've also been expanding my character portfolio. As I write this, I'm designing a cast of playable characters for an indie client, and I'm having a great time doing it.
The last six months have probably been the most exciting period of my career.
I had the opportunity to work alongside a AAA studio on a survival game, creating an entirely new universe from the ground up. I loved every minute of it. The art director was an incredible person to work with, and every assignment felt meaningful. I was one of the few artists responsible for shaping the visual identity of this new world, which made every day genuinely exciting.
Then everything changed.
On a Wednesday afternoon I received a message from the art director shortly after submitting one of my latest concepts. He told me he had really liked the work, but that he probably wouldn't have the chance to give me any feedback because he was about to join a meeting and was almost certain he would be laid off.
I still remember reading that message in disbelief.
The following days were filled with sadness and frustration. Technically I wasn't employed by that studio. I was hired through an outsourcing company that provided services to them. In the end, though, the outcome was the same. The project was frozen and my contract entered its notice period.
As I began looking for my next opportunity, I found myself thinking about where this industry is heading.
I realized I didn't want to spend the next few months sending hundreds of applications to massive companies where artists often become little more than names on a spreadsheet.
Instead, I decided to move in a different direction.
I want to work with indie developers.
Not because AAA games aren't incredible. They absolutely are. But I believe that on a small team an artist can have a much more meaningful impact. Every concept influences the project. Every conversation matters. You don't feel like employee number 428. You feel like someone helping build a world alongside the people who dreamed it up.

Living in Brazil also gives me a perspective that many people don't have. Because my cost of living is lower than in many developed countries, I can comfortably work with budgets that would be difficult for some artists elsewhere. I genuinely feel for artists living in countries where much higher salaries are necessary just to cover everyday expenses, making global competition increasingly challenging.
At the same time, I also recognize that those countries often provide opportunities that artists like me rarely have access to. Specialized education, startup incubators, government funding, networking events, and many other resources are much more accessible there than they are here.
Every place has its own advantages and disadvantages.
For me, this doesn't feel like the end of a job. It feels like the beginning of a different career.
I want to work with people who genuinely care about the games they're making.
One thing I value above all else is communication. I like understanding every detail of a project, especially its gameplay. I'm probably a little obsessive about gameplay, because I believe great concept art doesn't start with beautiful drawings. It starts with understanding why something exists in the game in the first place. The more I understand the player's experience, the better I can contribute to the visual design.
I've already started collaborating with indie teams, and I've found the experience incredibly rewarding. I enjoy being organized, communicating clearly, and building a relationship where ideas can be discussed openly instead of simply passing assets down a pipeline.
This transition certainly comes with challenges, but I'm genuinely excited about it.
I'm confident that I can bring real value to indie productions, and I'll do everything I can to keep growing in this direction. I'd much rather spend my time helping passionate people bring their ideas to life than chasing another place on the payroll of a giant corporation.
If you're building a game that you truly care about, I'd love to hear about it.
