Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net

[Free project handover] Two Advanced Unity 2D Games Looking for New Developers / Teams

Started by Bioshok Sep 4 at 8:23 PM 4 replies 650+ views
Original Post
Bioshok
Bioshok

Hello everyone,

I am looking for serious and motivated developers, or small development teams, interested in taking over one of two advanced Unity 2D game projects that I originally created and developed.

I am offering the projects for free. This is not a paid position, employment offer, or commissioned job. I am not asking for payment, funding, or a mandatory revenue share.

My main goal is simply to give these projects a chance to be completed and released rather than leaving them unfinished.

The projects

1. Multi Rotation Ball

An experimental 2D platform game built around unusual rotation-based gameplay mechanics.

An old public prototype can be seen here:

https://bioshok.itch.io/temporary-title-multi-rotation-cat

Please note that this demo is several years old and no longer represents the current state of the project.

The project has since been significantly improved:

  • code corrected and expanded;

  • gameplay systems further developed and nearly completed;

  • visual direction changed;

  • project renamed from Multi Rotation Cat to Multi Rotation Ball;

  • currently upgraded to Unity 6.6 (6000.6.0f1).

The current visual style is deliberately minimalist, somewhat reminiscent of games such as 140 or Thomas Was Alone.

If the existing systems and artistic direction are retained, most of the remaining work concerns level design, final content, polish, and music/audio.

2. Super Multi Powers Ball

A second and larger 2D Unity project built around multiple gameplay powers and mechanics.

An old prototype is available here:

https://bioshok.itch.io/demo-project-alpha-version-temporary-title-super-multi-powers-ball

Again, this is an old demonstration and does not accurately represent the current source project.

The programming work is approximately 90% complete. Most remaining work concerns level design, final content, adjustments, polish, and music/audio.

The current project has also been upgraded to Unity 6.6 (6000.6.0f1).

About the source projects

Both projects contain substantial amounts of C# code, gameplay systems, scenes, and development work accumulated over several years.

The code is functional and advanced, but I do not claim that every part follows perfect academic object-oriented architecture or modern design-pattern practices. Some areas could certainly benefit from refactoring or optimization.

The developer taking over a project would be completely free to reorganize, refactor, replace, or redesign parts of the code and gameplay as desired.

Some third-party assets originally used during development have deliberately been removed from the transferable source projects because I do not want to redistribute assets whose licenses may not be transferable.

The missing dependencies are documented so that the new developer can obtain their own legitimate copies/licenses or replace them with alternatives.

What I am offering

I am willing to hand over one or both projects for free to serious developers or teams who genuinely want to continue them.

There is:

  • no purchase price;

  • no salary or paid position;

  • no required funding;

  • no mandatory revenue share.

If a project eventually becomes successful and its new developer voluntarily wishes to make a symbolic gesture toward the original creator, I would of course appreciate it, but this is absolutely not a condition of the handover.

The selected developer/team may continue development and potentially publish and commercialize the resulting game, subject to the final handover terms and applicable third-party licenses.

I can also spend some time during the initial handover explaining the organization of the projects, important scripts and gameplay systems.

Correction regarding “custom level-editor tools”

Hello everyone,

A clarification about my original announcement: I used ChatGPT to help with the wording, and the phrase “custom level-editor tools” was inaccurate. I did not catch this before publishing.

Neither Multi Rotation Ball nor Super Multi Powers Ball includes a custom-built level editor. Both use Unity’s standard editor, with scripts, components, GameObjects and settings that I have developed or configured.

My intention was to explain that the new developer can modify and improve the existing systems and build further levels directly in Unity.

Apologies for the ambiguity. I wanted to correct the description so that prospective developers have an accurate understanding of what is included.

Who I am looking for

I would prefer to give the projects to developers who have enough Unity/C# experience to understand and maintain an existing project.

If you are interested, please tell me:

  • whether you are working alone or as part of a team;

  • your Unity/C# experience;

  • examples of previous projects, portfolio, itch.io, Steam or GitHub pages if available;

  • which of the two projects interests you;

  • why you would like to continue it;

  • what you would roughly like to do with the project.

I will not publicly upload the complete source projects. I would rather select serious candidates and provide the cleaned source privately after discussion.

The old demos linked above are provided only to demonstrate the original concepts. The current source projects are substantially more advanced.

And One Extremely Unlikely Invitation… 😄

Since you never know who might stumble across an Internet post…

Edmund McMillen or Tommy Refenes, if by some improbable cosmic accident either of you happens to read this: yes, the offer is open to you too. 😄

Given your experience with Super Meat Boy — and your remarkable ability to turn deceptively simple concepts into wonderfully cruel experiences for players — I suspect these little balls would be in very capable hands.

One can always dream. 😄

Thank you for reading, and please feel free to contact me if you are seriously interested or need more information.

Bioshok
Bioshok

Project update — Improved presentations + GDD and Concept Documents available

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post a small but important update regarding the two Unity projects offered for handover in this thread.

I have now reworked, corrected and simplified both itch.io presentations so that the main concepts and mechanics of each project are easier to understand without requiring a long description.

In addition, each itch.io page now includes freely downloadable project documentation:

  • a complete GDD (Game Design Document) — English and French;

  • a Concept Document — English and French.

For developers or teams interested in potentially taking over one of the projects, these documents provide a much more detailed description of the intended design, mechanics and possible future development than the short public itch.io presentations.

I would also like to clarify how the concepts of the two projects relate to each other.

The major part of each project is distinct and specific to that project, with its own original central concept, mechanics and ideas.

However, both projects also contain a shared part made up of original ideas, features, systems and design principles intended to be common to both projects.

So these are not simply two versions of the same concept. They have:

→ their own distinct core concepts and project-specific mechanics;
→ alongside a common foundation of shared ideas and features.

The updated presentations and all four documentation files for each project (GDD + Concept Document, in English and French) can now be found on the two itch.io pages already linked in the original post.

I hope this additional documentation makes it easier for interested developers or teams to evaluate the projects in detail.

Thanks again for reading, and feedback is welcome. 🙂

Bioshok
Bioshok

Small clarification regarding the current visual direction of both projects

Since these projects are being offered for free handover to developers or teams, I would also like to clarify one point regarding their current graphics and visual direction.

The present visuals are intentionally relatively simple and minimalist. As I am not a graphic artist and have limited time available for these projects, I have primarily focused my work on the areas where I can contribute the most: gameplay, original mechanics and systems, level design, and the overall game concepts described in the GDD and concept documents.

The current graphics should therefore not be considered a visual direction that a future team would be required to preserve. Developers taking over either project would be completely free to improve, redesign, or replace the graphics and establish their own artistic direction.

Conversely, a team that appreciates the current minimalist approach could also keep it and develop it further with a stronger and more distinctive visual identity.

My main objective with these prototypes has been to establish and demonstrate their gameplay concepts, mechanics, systems and design foundations, while leaving considerable freedom to the developers who may eventually continue them.

Bioshok
Bioshok

Update — free handover application deadline: December 31, 2026

Hello everyone,

Applications for the free handover of Multi Rotation Ball and Super Multi Powers Ball will remain open until December 31, 2026.

You may apply for either project independently. Proposals will be considered based on relevant experience, commitment and realistic plans for continuing the game. Discussions underway before the deadline may continue beyond it by mutual agreement.

If no suitable proposal is selected for a project, I will keep it and may resume development myself, gradually and without a fixed schedule.

The rights granted and retained will be agreed in writing before any final handover. Additional rights may also be negotiated separately by mutual agreement.

Project details and contact information remain available in the earlier posts.

Thank you for your interest.

Sign in to reply to this topic.