Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
✓ Solved

Someone stole my game

Started by chopsticks-v1o Sep 24 at 2:07 AM 2 replies 200+ views
Original Post
chopsticks-v1o
chopsticks-v1o

So I made Atomic Dawn 1 on August 29th 2026.

Then this person I don't know who posted another game a couple days ago and copied the style of my game and name. Someone please help me and tell me if it's a misunderstanding, I am really pissed.

Accepted Answer

You'll need a lawyer local to your area that can help you go through the process.

The details will matter. If you registered the trademark and the copyright for the game matters, although you technically have many rights automatically, other rights require government registration.

What you have rights to do and the ability to enforce without court order will depend on lots of details. With a lawyer it can be straightforward to issue a takedown order to Steam or other distributor if you meet certain requirements, but if you don't meet the requirements they won't matter at all.

Details of who infringed will matter. If the company is a cloning company out of China, Taiwan, or South Korea, the cost of fighting them internationally quickly balloons to the point where it isn't worth it. You may get successful takedown orders on Steam, Epic, and the Google/Apple App Stores, but sites like Kakao Games or WeGame or MyApp are unlikely to take it down unless you've got a legal order from Chinese courts or have registered the game and the assets with the Chinese NPPA.

Recovering legal damages through the courts is an expensive process, and it usually isn't worth the cost of battling in the courts, but if you're looking a minimum range of several hundred thousand dollars to millions of dollars in damages it can be worth it, but if it's only tens of thousands of dollars enforcement will likely be more expensive than you'll ever recover.

chopsticks-v1o
chopsticks-v1o

Hi, Thanks

I am a indie dev and I don't want to go through weeks or even months of legal problems, I just want them to take it down, I was hoping this topic would get more attention and then people would attract hate to the game. My game is here:https://chopstickshq.com/atomic-dawn/
and the copier's game is here: https://atomicdawngame.com/
They even copied my art which is the part that really pisses me off because that art took me 400+ hours to draw digitally.

Sign in to reply to this topic.