Original Post
🔒 Locked
MP3-Beating Compression
Advertisement
You don''t read Slashdot, do you? It''s becoming increasingly apparent that it''s a fraud. Check Slashdot for more information and references.
[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
nes8bit is anti-communist, he would never read slashdot
This reminds me of a thread long ago...
I can see the headlines now
VB programmer makes MP3-Beating sound compression.
I can see the headlines now
VB programmer makes MP3-Beating sound compression.
But why would a research company announce something false? I mean it doesn''t take much thinking that you''re going to have to answer all of this somehow? If you just say "nevermind, we were wrong" (like that mp3-beating-compression guy) Then people are gonna question their skills and assume that they''re just a bunch of hasty amatours and don''t really know anything. And I''m pretty sure that''s not what they want
"Non-vegetarians are all sluts" --Gyzmo
"Non-vegetarians are all sluts" --Gyzmo
yeah, i remember someone talking about ".car" files which could compress files to nearly nothing. whatever happened to...
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
>But why would a research company announce something false?
Maybe to get their share prices up. Sell off their stocks at the higher price and run. At least that what my dad thinks.
I would like to see how their stock has progressed since the announcement. Maybe this company will just disappear one day.
Guy
Sounds like a good reason. I believe the term is pump and run. Something like that. We''ll find out when we see "SEC: Insider Trade at ZeoSync Corp" in every headline. 
However, if they really are telling the truth then I''d like to see some evidence. I had a similar idea to theirs. Randomize data then compress it after finding random patterns in the file. The best compression you could get with that trick would be 255:1 and that''s assuming that everything was in the pattern dictionary.
I really wonder what they did.
Oh and the bigger question: Did they write a decompressor?
---------------------------------------------

However, if they really are telling the truth then I''d like to see some evidence. I had a similar idea to theirs. Randomize data then compress it after finding random patterns in the file. The best compression you could get with that trick would be 255:1 and that''s assuming that everything was in the pattern dictionary.
I really wonder what they did.
Oh and the bigger question: Did they write a decompressor?
---------------------------------------------

There''s been MP3-beating compression for ages.
http://www.vorbis.com
The compression is very similar to MP3, but they use a variable bitrate, therefore being able to drop superfluous data where it is not needed. And the result sounds the same as the equivalent MP3.
As to the article mentioned, the new algorithm is rubbish. If you are one of the people who "hopes it''s really true", you should read up on how compression works. Sorry to sound rude, but it would really help you to understand these things.
By the way, I found this response quite amusing
http://www.vorbis.com
The compression is very similar to MP3, but they use a variable bitrate, therefore being able to drop superfluous data where it is not needed. And the result sounds the same as the equivalent MP3.
As to the article mentioned, the new algorithm is rubbish. If you are one of the people who "hopes it''s really true", you should read up on how compression works. Sorry to sound rude, but it would really help you to understand these things.
By the way, I found this response quite amusing
I found this response interesting. Definately food for thought...although the ability to find the largest Nth root of any number between 0 to 2^8388608 real-time is a ways off.
Epolevne
Epolevne
I just invented a reversible compression algorithm that decreases the size of ANY file by one byte. And it can even be applied to its own output!
I left out some error checking, such as if the input file has length zero, or if the input file exists, but those are just details. It could also be sped up, but I didn''t want to clutter it. I want you to see exactly how I did it.
source code for the compression / decompression functions
I hope you all have a good laugh
I left out some error checking, such as if the input file has length zero, or if the input file exists, but those are just details. It could also be sped up, but I didn''t want to clutter it. I want you to see exactly how I did it.
source code for the compression / decompression functions
I hope you all have a good laugh
quote:
Original post by Epolevne
I found this response interesting. Definately food for thought...although the ability to find the largest Nth root of any number between 0 to 2^8388608 real-time is a ways off.
Epolevne
People have tried that technique before and failed. 210 and 103 are considered to be very close together. Now, this is for numbers at around 1000. If a difference of 24 from 1000 is "small", imagine how far apart two powers would be for a number that could be expressed as a 4.28 meg file (like the answer to 78654211566342 - 55678). Although a few rare files could be super-compressed this way, most files will fall too far away from the nearest power, and the third number used (whether added or subtracted) would be so large, that it takes up almost as much space as the original file.
Don''t ever forget the counting argument. Everyone who tried to go against the counting argument has failed, and all for the same reason.
quote:
Original post by Null and Void
You don''t read Slashdot, do you? It''s becoming increasingly apparent that it''s a fraud. Check Slashdot for more information and references.
I wouldnt trust Slashdot if they told me that the sun is hot.
Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
I wouldnt trust Slashdot if they told me that the sun is hot.
You''re trolling. As long as you know what to believe and what not to believe (i.e. you''re not a moron) then it''s relatively safe reading bias news sources. They have lots of science, political, and IT news that I find interesting and I don''t like crawling through standard news sources to find. I''ve said it before: they link to a lot of good content, as long as you already know what you believe and stay away from the user comments.
[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Aargh. What if this is the return of KierenJ?
In corperate form!
---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

This reminds me of when Merrick wrote a compressor that compressed things at insane levels but then never bothered to write a decompressor because he thought it was too trivial. I haven''t heard from him since.
Topic Locked
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
Sign in to reply to this topic.
Advertisement