Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

RPG Game Project

Started by Sleepwalker Feb 12, 2000 at 8:41 AM 16 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Hello everybody ! I just set up the site for a game project that is currently under development. Please take look at it and tell me what you think. C O R A X Thanks in advance - Sleepwalker "Excuse me sir, which way is reality ?" Edited by - Sleepwalker on 2/12/00 8:44:17 AM
Sleepwalker
Staffan
Staffan
Just a quick note..your ''Map Prototype'' returns/whaever (not even a message box or a log! bwah) instantly when i execute it. The screen turns black and then back to normal, however It doesnt change the resolution before exiting.
Cloxs
Cloxs
Just a tip Sleepwallker, change it to Win32 Release. From the other persons post it sounds like you left the game in it''s "debug" form. Click on build->Active project settings->Win32 Release->OK and then reinclude the libraries. Also, it looks pretty good, but I reccomend you go with bitmaps. They''re easy to load, and look better than ascii.
Hope that helped - Cloxs

I can use my finger to point out the moon, but my finger is not the moon, and you don''t need my finger to see the moon, do you?
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Thanks for giving me some feedback...

Staffan...I have a clue as to ehat might be wrong...The thing is in 24bit color mode...Your graphics card might not support it...I run it on a Voodoo 3 3000 and it works fine.

Cloxs...It actually is a release version - and it is an embedded bitmap (in the executable) with different tiles...but they just happen to be ASCII characters.
I thought it might be good to combine these two worlds: DirectX and ASCII...

So thanks again for you comments...
I''ll work more on the thing, so cheack back later...

- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Staffan
Staffan
Thats it. My card only supports 32-bit color, not 24.
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Hummm...that might be a problem...I thought I''d make it 24bpp - one byte for each primary color...
In 16bpp you have the diffifculties with the different 555/565 color models...

But I could as well make it with 32bpp, but I don''t know if all cards support that, especially the older ones.

Oh, and I heard that Pentium II class processor can handle 32bit faster and easier than 24bpp. Is that true ?

- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
ZoomBoy
ZoomBoy
You might want to place a screenshot on your web-site. For most it's too long to download and unzip and then play when it might also crash.

ZoomBoy

My web site with screenshots
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Atlantis/7739/


Edited by - ZoomBoy on 2/13/00 2:49:07 AM
Geradian
Geradian
One of the differences between 32 and 24 bit display is that the 32 bit takes more memory but is faster than the 24 bit.
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
I don''t think memory will be an issue...The game''s not gonna be very graphically intensiv, I''m afarid...So I could afford that...but still - what about older cards ?

Yep, ZoomBoy, I thought of that one too. Trouble is I do not know how to make a copy from ddsurface to a bitmap file without having to write up my own routine and messing with file headers and stuff like that #-) ...Any ideas ?

Anyhow, I made a weather cycling finite state machine engine type sort of thingy program (That parataxation of words is stylistically incorrect, I believe). Well, you can take a look at it at the download page...


- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Staffan
Staffan
sleepwalker - did you try the print screen key?
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
No...actually I didn''t...

Do you think it will work even though I do not have any code for it in there ?

Have to try it...

Overlooking the easiest and most abvious way is human, I guess



- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Josh
Josh
quote:
Do you think it will work even though I do not have any code for it in there ?


You don't need to add code for it to work. The Print Screen key takes whatever is on the screen and places it into the clipboard. From there you can just paste it into your favorite image editor and save it to whatever file format you'd like.

Josh

Edited by - Josh on 2/14/00 10:25:13 AM
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
DOHDOHDOH!!!

I feel like the reincarnation of the superlative of stupid...

I tried and made a *wonderful* screenshot

Go check it out. it will be on my page soon, too.

Thanks for your help...
- Sleepwalker

"There are only two things that are infinte:
The universe and human stupidity, and I am not so sure about the first one..."
-A. Einstein
Sleepwalker
Facehat
Facehat
You really should add in 16-Bit color as an option. Even some newer cards dont support 24Bit or 32Bit color (my voodoo3 2000, for example). At the very least you should allow the user to chose whether the game uses 24Bit or 32Bit color.

I have a bit of code which can generate colors for 565 or 555 16Bit color format. I can send it to you if you need it

--TheGoop

Edited by - TheGoop on 2/14/00 3:17:11 PM
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Your voodoo 3 2000 doesn''t support 24bpp. Hey, I got a V3 3000 and I think it''s supports up to 32bpp...

Are you sure ?

- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Jim_Ross
Jim_Ross
Straight from 2 horses mouths:
Tom's hardware guide
A 3D-architecture that is limited to only 16 bit, as
in case of the Voodoo3 requires a reduction of color
information and is thus decreasing the quality and reality
level.



3dfx's voodoo3 faq
As for image quality, we. ve gone to great lengths to 
make games look great in 16bpp mode. We actually do the
rendering calculations internally at 32 bits to have full
precision with the 16-bit operands.





Edited by - Jim_Ross on 2/15/00 10:03:21 AM

Edited by - Jim_Ross on 2/15/00 10:04:25 AM
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Yeah...but doesn''t that concern 3dfx/Direct3d/OpenGL mode only?

I KNOW I can set my esolution to 24/32bpp and it looks better than 16bpp....



- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker
Okay guys...I put the screeenshot into a gallery section and fixed some bugs on the map prototype (nothing major though)...so you can try it out now...

Thanks again

- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.