Beyond MFC : COM || Networking

Started by
4 comments, last by kuphryn 22 years ago
Hi. I began learning and practice MFC three months ago. The first month was the toughest because I was down right lost after reading the first nine chapters from Prosise''s book. However, everything changed after I first studied from Richand Jones'' introduction to MFC. Everything Prosise discusses became clear and only now do I begin to appreciate the information Prosise offers in his book. Next, I would like to move on to more specific tools i.e. networking or COM. I have no experience with COM and networking programming using C++. My ultimately goal, however, is to design and implement network programs such as an ftp server (my dream). What is there after MFC? I am an MFC beginner, but I have confident I can work with the tools MFC offers relatively well. I am very interested in networking programming, but COM is something that is quite popular. I saw good review on C++ Networking Programming Volumn 1 by Douglas C. Schmidt, Stephen D. Huston. What do you recommend? As for COM, I am not sure where to start. Nonetheless, COM is something I want to consider, if not now, then after networking. Thanks, Kuphryn
Advertisement
For COM programming, check out the book "Inside COM" by Dale Rogerson. It''s a great book to start with and will provide you a solid foundation in COM programming.
Okay. Thanks.

Kuphryn
The C++ networking one is about the ACE framework, and is so-so. The ACE framework is very impressive, but the book spends too much time on trivial or antiquated CS notions.

Using ACE you can write a crude http daemon (1.0) in about ten minutes.

I have the M$ press book, COM: Base Services, and it''s decent.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ ]

Shamelessly ripped from Oluseyi
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Thanks.

The C++ network programming book I mentioned is the highest rated book dealing with networking programming I have found. I wish there were more options.

I wonder where designers of network programs such as CuteFTP, FlashFXP, RaidenFTP Daemon, WarFTP Daemon, etc. get their knowledge and skill of networking programming?

I just need a tool I can learn to get me going. I can build on it after I get a hang of the fundamentals.

I will make a final decision on the book about ACE soon.

Kuphryn

[edited by - kuphryn on April 24, 2002 9:09:15 PM]
Okay.

I decided on a network programming book.

I placed on order for this:

Network Programming for Microsoft Windows, Second Edition
by Anthony Jones.

I have considered C++ Network Programming Volume 1 by Douglas C. Schmidt and Stephen D. Huston. However, in the end I decided to go with Networking Programming for Microsoft Windows, Second Edition because my primary objective is to design and implement Windows programming using C++. I believe Jones'' book will become invaluable for Windows applications.

Kuphryn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement