Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GDNet 4-Elements Contest

Started by vincoof May 2, 2002 at 3:02 AM 267 replies 25.3k views
Original Post
vincoof
vincoof
When the winner of the LOTR Contest will be announced, there will be 45 competitors who won''t get a GeForce4 Ti. For those guys/gals who still want to take their hands on a beautiful graphics card, there''s the ''Four Elements'' GameDev.Net''s Contest ! LOL - NeHe was alot faster this time
Scheermesje
Scheermesje
Yes, I saw that they announced it...

Maybe I will join the contest.. I have a cool idea only I think it''s still to difficult for me
Golthar
Golthar
Well, you never know if you dont try, right?

Have a go, Im still too busy with my school projects
"There is a $500 fine for detonating explosives within the confines of a city"
vincoof
vincoof
Golthar has hit the spot ! Never give up unless you are 100% sure you can''t do it.
You could propose your idea, and I bet that faithful members (including me) will be willing to give their opinion about the difficulty of the concept.
And I swear I won''t steal the idea I already have mine ! Well, almost
Trexmaster
Trexmaster
Just one question about making demos in general.
Do you use a storyboard or something like that to make your demos ? I've got an idea for my demo, don't know if I will achieve to bring it to the screen as I have a long way to go before that. But a contest is definitively the best occasion to break my limits and learn as much as I can so I'll try. Just wanted some help to organize myself as this will be the first time I make a demo that require more than 2 days to code.


[edited by - trexmaster on May 2, 2002 7:57:24 AM]
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
Dalkiel
Dalkiel
for every demo i make, i draw some storyboards, small sketches, and write a few ideas which i might forgot later. all that before coding. if you don''t, then programming a demo is a real mess in most cases (for complex camera movement, scene cuts, etc), well in my opinion. um is that what you meant ?


"Shadow of annoyance Ne''''er come hither! ...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer, Ne''''er to ascend again..."


TOT
"Shadow of annoyance Ne''er come hither! ...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer, Ne''er to ascend again..."
TOT
Scheermesje
Scheermesje
A. why not :D I will join.. let''s hope I can make something

Earth, wind,fire and water...

That sounds like particle systems I''ve never wrote one but it should be a good practice..

Earth, terrain generation.. that''s something I also never made(yes, I now i''m terrible :D)

Wind, animation of a bending tree or something..

Let''s start working :D
Trexmaster
Trexmaster
Yes Dalkiel that''s exactly what I meant. Thanks a lot for the advice, I''m gonna do it before getting to the code.
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
vincoof
vincoof
About the 4 Elements contest, everyone who would like to join the team could write it down here (it seems a good place) and we might start some brainstorming to get a pitiful/decent/good/great/incredible (choose whichever you want) idea.

Also, we might choose if we either make a game or a demo.
A game covers a wide range of abilities, so with a game we could learn more things.
We already do demos, so with a demo we could share more accurate knowledge.
I see it as a choice between diversity versus quality. I might be wrong, though.


For anyone who hasn''t read the 3D game programming contest organization topic, he''s a summary of the idea :
We would like to make a NeHe Productions team and enter the GameDev.Net''s Four Elements Contest so we can share knowledge during the development, and if we win the contest we shall give the prize to NeHe


Ok. I''m in.
Who''s in ?
Trexmaster
Trexmaster
quote:
Original post by vincoof
Ok. I''m in.
Who''s in ?


Yeah me too. Though i''ve never entered a contest til now i wish to help and to learn. This would be the perfect occasion.



"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
Trexmaster
Trexmaster
It seems there''s not much activity today.
So I''ll propose an idea, what about an islandic volcanic eruption ?

We get lava as the fire element, possible volcano''s structure modifications as the earth, possible tsunami and lava/water interaction as the water and smoke/cloud/fog as the air (it seems to me that air is quite difficult to represent graphically since it''s, for us humans, a completely transparent material).

What do you think of it ? What are your ideas ?
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
davepermen
davepermen
i''m in the contest, yet working on it.. my first time going into a contest

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia
My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud
Maximus
Maximus
Ive got a fantastic idea for the contest, but whether or not ill have time to enter is another matter.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Scheermesje
Scheermesje
I''ve also got an idea.. When I can do it on my own I will do that... The working in a team is a great idea but for this contest I think I will do it on my own...

With the Game-Team contest I will join
vincoof
vincoof
Trexmaster : I guess you played Resident Evil : Code Veronica
Didn''t you ?

Scheermesje : We could have join our efforts, anyway you do what you want. Just a question : why would like to make an entry from your own ? Are you afraid of our not-very-tested team concept ? You think you would be ignored in the team and your ideas would be stolen ? You want to see what you can do from yourself, since you didn''t enter the lotr contest ? well, answer only if you want to. I''m just curious, as always
Trexmaster
Trexmaster
quote:
Original post by vincoof
Trexmaster : I guess you played Resident Evil : Code Veronica
Didn''t you ?



In fact no, I didn''t played that game (but I play quite a lot that''s a fact). Why are you supposing such a thing ? Is there a link with my idea ?

"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
Scheermesje
Scheermesje
vincoof: I didn''t join the LOTR contest and as you said I want to look what I can do on my own... Althoug I think that I can maybe learn more from a team based joining..
And no I''m not afraid of the not tested team concept It looks great to me..

Who is joining the team now for the four elements?

Ah, why not :D I will join to.. I can never win it on my own I think.. And you may make more then one entry I thought? If I have the time I could also make an entry for my own...

I''m in

stryx
stryx
If I had more knowledge I''ld love to join, but this time I''ll look as a spectator

Well, about the idea. Nice, a NeHe team.

The Volcano Idea is good.
Fire = Lava
Water = Sea
Earth = Landscape
Air = wind

Imagine a nice little Island where a Volcano explodes and the lava runs down into the water, fog is rising up and everything moves to the wind.
Grass, Trees, everything as a MassSpring-System moving to the wind.

Nice Idea.

I''d wish I could help.

Well, good luck to Team-NeHe

stryX

Anything that requires finding convex hulls in realtime isstarting to sound like a bad idea. -- John Carmack
vincoof
vincoof
Trexmaster: In RE Code Veronica there''s a painting where there''s a volcano on an island, which leads to a guess which unlocks a secret item.

***
SPOILER
***

Under the painting there''s something written like "lava blows out of the volcano and flows through the forest and finish in the sea", and there are four drawers that have four different colours (blue, red, green and brown). If you associate each colour to each element, the painting represents the combination :
1- red (lava)
2- green (forest)
3- blue (sea)
and the brown drawers holds the secret item.

The thing is, I already thought of the idea of the volcano island (before you wrote it here ) and when I realized that, I said "sh*t I''m just copying the guess from Code Veronica!".
vincoof
vincoof
I'm wondering if we should create a unique-but-very-nice scene, or many good-but-not-perfect scenes.

Also, if it's a demo. If it's a game we can't count the 'number' of scenes.

[edited by - vincoof on May 5, 2002 8:29:55 PM]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.