Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

I wanna write some games...

Started by Mathematix Sep 14, 2002 at 9:46 AM 50 replies 8.1k views
Original Post
Mathematix
Mathematix
Hello everyone, I am a programming newbie just passed the "hello world" stage in my C++ class. I would like to write four good 3D games in three months, the first being one like Quake 3 then Warcraft 3 then Grand Theft Auto 3. I have heard of a programming language called Open PL? is this easy to learn? I understand that it is used for a number of games. Also I''ve heard of something like ''Direct sex'' that you can make sounds with. Any help would be very much appreciated. Peace out, Mathematix.
Grambo
Grambo
ROFL
--24 Beers in a Case.24 Hours in a Day.Coincedence? I think not!www.gramb0.co.uk
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Either you are being extremely funny or you really don''t know what you are talking about....

Well. "Open PL" is called OpenGL it''s a 3D API.
And "Direct sex" (LMAO!!) is called DirectX.

DirectX is made up of two parts DirectDraw and Direct3D.
DirectDraw is for 2D app/games and Direct3D is for 3D app/games.

My honest opinion and I think most people would agree.
You should start coding a little more.
Far past the "hello world" stage.
Do you know how to use pointers, functions, structs and classes?
Well you should at least understand these things before thinking about making 3D games.

But while you are learning these things. And I said it!! learn them!! (to those who roasted me earlier... you know who you are)

You can go to Teej''s interactive tutorial and learn to program Tetris. It is step by step and shows most if not all the things you need to know about basic game programming. Then your next game should be Pong. You''ll then get a good idea of how to implement simple AI and physics, which you''ll need to expand upon sooner than you think.

So in short!! Keep learning C++. Go to Teej''s forum. (click on Forums, scroll down until you see Hands On Interactive Game Development, click and continue from there), when you finish with that try your hand at Pong.

Then come back for better advice about 3D games. Believe me you are not ready for 3D programming.

>>programming newbie just passed the "hello world" stage
PRICELESS !!

(sabreman if you''re reading this... see what i mean??)

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.






find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
skillfreak
skillfreak
I''m dying... hahahahaha
GBGames
GBGames
I am surprised with the regularity of posts like this one.
I can understand newbies wanting to learn how to program or make games, and it can be understandable if you don''t know that Google exists or that a Start Here section exists on Gamedev.net.
What I think isn''t helping is when posts are made like this to poke fun of them. Yes, we can roll our eyes when we see a legit post of this nature, but we weren''t all knowing ourselves. At one point we weren''t quite sure how to make games.

I remember sitting in front of my Apple II c+ and typing in paragraphs to the tune of, "I would like my game to be like Troll''s Tale, only with more monsters and the ability to grab a sword and use it" only to learn that I would get a syntax error after pressing enter. B-)

I say that posts like this will scare people who don''t know how to navigate their way around the WWW from coming here, thinking that the people here know way too much and will not give them the time of day.

Although it was funny B-) Direct sex. Classic.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
skillfreak
skillfreak
Way to step out man.
Still funny as hell tho. =)
Johnny_Null
Johnny_Null
quote:
Original post by GBGames
I remember sitting in front of my Apple II c+ and typing in paragraphs to the tune of, "I would like my game to be like Troll''s Tale, only with more monsters and the ability to grab a sword and use it" only to learn that I would get a syntax error after pressing enter. B-)


I can remember doing something similiar with my TRS-80.

DM0407
DM0407
Its just a joke fortunatly, look at his profile.... I would have belived it but "direct sex" was pushing it
Lode
Lode
I didn''t believe it from the beginning

I mean, even a newbie knows you can''t write 4 good games in 3 months time if you can''t even program yet
coderx75
coderx75
quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
direct sex.... i wish!

That''s easy:

if (DirectSexCreate (NULL,&lpds,NULL)!= DD_OK) return 0;
if (lpds->SetCooperativeLevel(hwnd, DSSCL_PUTOUTBABY | DSSCL_EXCLUSIVE |
DSSCL_FULLNUDITY | DSSCL_ALLOWANALSEX)!=DD_OK)
return (FALSE);

if (lpds->CreatePartner (&dssd, &lpdsprimary, NULL)!=DD_OK)
return (FALSE);

return(TRUE);

That''s it, you''re all set to go!

- Jay

"I have head-explody!!!" - NNY

Get Tranced!
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Neosmyle
Neosmyle
quote:
Original post by Mathematix
I would like to write four good 3D games in three months, the first being one like Quake 3 then Warcraft 3 then Grand Theft Auto 3.

What a nice touch. He claims to want to program four games, yet he only mentions three. Clearly newbie-esque.
nonnus29
nonnus29
Yeah, I''d love get some of that "direct sex" too!
skillfreak
skillfreak
coderx75 --- where can i download?
lovin it.
coderx75
coderx75
quote:
Original post by skillfreak
coderx75 --- where can i download?
lovin it.

It would certainly tip the balance in the OpenGL/DirectX wars =b

- Jay

"I have head-explody!!!" - NNY

Get Tranced!


[edited by - coderx75 on September 14, 2002 4:00:00 PM]
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Mathematix
Mathematix
You guys! That was sooo entertaining! ROFLMAO!

It was my lunch break, I got a little board and decided to post a spoof post.

I almost feel guilty for the ones who offered me honest advice, and thank you all even though I know it already. I hope that real newbies will see these replies and feel a little more comfy about posting genuinely green questions.

Peace all! :D

Peace out,
Mathematix.
Luctus
Luctus
quote:
Original post by Lode
I didn''t believe it from the beginning

I mean, even a newbie knows you can''t write 4 good games in 3 months time if you can''t even program yet


Ok. 4 games in 3 months everyone should know, but this post is''nt far off from some I''ve read. Something like

"Hi! I''ve bought C++ for dummies yesterday and I really want to make a real game. It would be a 3d MMORPG with support for at least 200+ players, platform independant, realtime light effects and a complete scripting support. Where do I start?"

Anyone seen one of those posts

Direct Sex really pushed it over the line of the unbelivable ROFL



-Luctus
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.