NDAs for people under 18?

Started by
6 comments, last by Bossk 21 years, 5 months ago
My small game company (not named) has recently begun development of a MMOG title. We want to license a graphics engine for the game, and found a company that was willing to give us a non-commercial license for next to nothing. Unfortunately, they require us to sign an NDA before we can begin to discuss specific licensing or pricing agreements. All the members of our "company" are under 18 years of age. So, are we screwed? Also, does each member of our company have to sign an NDA, or can one person that is in charge sign it for the entire group? Does each member of the group have to sign it, or only those who will be working with the engine apps (e.g., model convertors, world builders) and source? Thanks in advance for any help you guys could provide.
Advertisement
Contracts can usually have a co-signature (parent) to make them valid, so I assume NDAs may follow the same lines.

If you are referring to the Torque engine, each person would have to sign an NDA, because one liscene is only for one person. Meaning, each person must own a liscene to the engine.
As for others, Im not sure but they probably follow the same guidelines.

Just email the liscener and ask him...Im sure he would give a valid response.

Ibuku
simusoft.com
Contracts can usually have a co-signature (parent) to make them valid, so I assume NDAs may follow the same lines.

If you are referring to the Torque engine, each person would have to sign an NDA, because one liscene is only for one person. Meaning, each person must own a liscene to the engine.
As for others, Im not sure but they probably follow the same guidelines.

Just email the liscener and ask him...Im sure he would give a valid response.

Ibuku
simusoft.com
Well, the *correct* way to do things would be to have your parents sign the agreement in addition.

However, the other option would be to just do it yourself and not worry about it, provided that the other party didn''t know that you are under age. You cannot sign a legally binding contract yourself... but there is no repurcusion for you doing so, other than possible bad will from this other party when/if they find out. *cue evil laughter*

Seriously, just get your parents or legal gaurdian to sign it. No big deal, right?
I Guess i''ll ask the licensing department about co-signing the NDA agreement. (I''m working on the project with bossk)

In most cases me (and the rest of the team) would have no problem signing the NDA ourselves and committing fraud, but this company would have our asses in a second if they found out. (Considering they put 1.4 million dollars into the development of the engine and tools)...So I''m sure you can understand why signing it illegally is not an option we are considering at this time (if ever ).
An NDA will almost certainly include a clause that requires anyone having access to the information to have signed the same or a similar NDA. That means anyone on the team having access to the secret information will need to sign an agreement. Normally the team would sign an NDA with YOUR company to keep all company info secret. This would automatically cover any info the company gets from other companies under NDA without your whole team having to sign a load of new NDAs all the time.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
No contract signed by a minor is legally binding. That includes basic contract work not just NDAs.

Thanks for all the info, I will just get my parents to co-sign for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement