Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Best RPG Ever???

Started by Run_The_Shadows Jun 26, 2000 at 5:06 PM 40 replies 3.8k views
Original Post
Run_The_Shadows
Run_The_Shadows
Ok, all this talk about RPGs and whats right and wrong with them has got me thinking. What is the BEST ROLE-PLAYING Game ever. Most true to the idea that you are a character, and that character is a real person. My pick: Vampire:The Masquerade(And offshoots) This is one of the true ROLE-PLAYING and not ROLL-PLAYING games ever. Its not about the combat(Like Werewolf/Shadowrun) and not about the character buildup(TSR Games), Its about the Horror of waking up everynight and having to lose your morals to survive. Well, thats it...FLAME AWAY!!! -Run_The_Shadows -Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Landfish
Landfish
Two years ago, I would have agreed with you in a heartbeat. Recently, White Wolf''s releases have been getting progressively cheesier, despite some system improvements.

Also, take a look at the way they handle math in that game. A dice pool systme with equal variables? What''s that crap!? No matter what combination of dice you roll, your percentage of success remains pretty much the same. With exceptions in the extreme, you are simply rolling one big complicated die! Of course, this doesn''t really matter since the dice only play a minimal role in the game.

Don''t get me wrong, I still play white wolf''s games... but recently their publications have been encouraging the cheesiest kind of games! Even whack-a-monster is more tolerable than a :captain-planet" style game of werewolf where they blow up the moon. C''mon people.

Best Dice System ever: Sihlouette from Dream Pod 9.
_
Best RPG concept ever: HoL.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
DarkMage139
DarkMage139
FF7 is pretty good...

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
DarkMage139
oni316
oni316
I have to say White-Wolf''s Werewolf series. Grant you can go and tear through everything in true hack and slash style, but the back story is the best part of it. Not only spritual and mystical, you''ve got all the politics you need AND you get to kill all the icky stuff with a 9 foot monster. You can''t go wrong with that. Though its granted you need a mature group of players to actually have the story backdrop mean anything...

Eri Norris
Jeranon
Jeranon
I don''t really have a best rpg ever. There are bits from rpgs which I think are great like certain battles in Baldur''s Gate, the slow realisation of the level from mapping in Ultima Underworld, the terror in System Shock 2 from the first plot twist, witnessing the carnage wrought from casting delayed blast fireball into a pack of advanced draconians and watching them destry themselves in a chain reaction in the last game of the gold box Krynn series, killing the ruby and emerald weapons in FF7 with a double summon Knights of the Round counter mimic chain in under 2 rounds, the apocalyptic final battle and resolution in FF games, the amusing FF-like big spell FMVs in PS:Torment, or even sniping with a plasma rifle in Fallout, but there is no one package which grabs me. I''m still waiting for the best RPG ever.
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
Ferinorius
Ferinorius
My computer really sucks so I can''t play online, but for consoles, I know what is what.

The best PSX RPG has got to be a tie between FF7/FF8 I think FF7 is slightly better than FF8, but it''s so close!

Nintendo 64 is lacking, and quest was an experience...not one i remember too well. What I do remember was spending 20 hourse AFTER beating the game trying to level up my character and only got to 330 something hp before my Controller Pack erased. I love Zelda: TOOT.

Lunar was short, and the only reason I got it was because they weren''t selling anymore after a certain date. Jade Cocoon (spelling?) was innovative, but short. FF Anthology with it''s FF5 was good. Xenogears was long, and by the second disk it looked lke the programmers and game developers were getting tired....
Legend of Dragoon is cool. And FF9 is gonna rock, just like every Square game. You may hate RPG''s, and you may hate FF''s ways of doing things, but their presentation/music/FMV/stories are out of this galaxy.
FragStorm
FragStorm
I would have to say that Xenogears by SquareSoft is definitely the best RPG ever made. It has one of the most detailed, twisted, and awesome stories I ever heard, combined with the some of the greatest gameplay, music, characters, style, and such cool graphics.
We shall be free; th'' Almighty hath not build here for his ervy, will not drive us hence: Here we may reign secure and in my choyce To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav''n.
kressilac
kressilac
Legend of Zelda on the NES or Ultima VII on the PC. These two have to remain as the two best games ever. Zelda just rocked.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
Aversion
Aversion
Funny how people always consider the latest titles the best.
It only indicates a longing for eye candy.
Just say as it is "tha best rpg ever until the next in series!"
Just wait until Squaresoft hires another 100 artists and programmers.
The genre is following a linear growth of stagnation: put in more
manpower -> get out more eyecandy. Nothing much happening, the
basic concept has been worn since I started gaming in the 80:s.

I am now the official pessimist on the site. Yeah. Can I have
"pessimist" for rank puhleese?
MadKeithV
MadKeithV
Dragon Wars!!!!!
( and if anyone remembers that game, you guys are older than I thought )


Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Jeranon
Jeranon
Dragon Wars... I think I have that burnt on CD somewhere... is that where you start in an arena or something?
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
MadKeithV
MadKeithV
Well, sort of, you start in an exile town and have to fight your way back out, through the arena.


Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Paul Cunningham
Paul Cunningham
Sentinal Worlds:Future Magic (C64/128), three disks and 3 complete worlds. It was pretty damn good for its period. Good plot and character building. Characters roleplayed excellently. Just a lot of disk swappng. I love that game!

P.S. You had to turn the sound off though :-)

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"
Neuro
Neuro
I expect someone to come out with Dungeon Master and I would agree that this was a GREAT RPG but my favorate RPG was Abandoned Places 2 on the Amiga.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
Ingenu
Ingenu
Mine of course

-* So many things to do, so few time to spend *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Neuro
Neuro
But every creator thinks that theres is the best. I think that the idea is the one that made you fall in love with RPGs enough to want to make one.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
STVOY
STVOY
FF7 is one of the best RPG''s around. I also liked
the Zelda Games. Even the one on the N64. Shadowrun
was good for while too. Anyone Agree?

Thanx In Advance
STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
Gladiator
Gladiator
There''s none... RPG''s suck and they always will... so stop creating arguments and have some rest young man...
Buster
Buster
The best RPG ever? Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, whatever edition was being played with in the mid to late 80''s. 2nd? I can''t remember.

But it wins HANDS DOWN.
Kylotan
Kylotan
Ultima VII, or The Bard''s Tale, or Bloodwych.

Although I never played it, I watched my friends play Final Fantasy 7, and I can only assume that console gamers have much lower standards.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.