Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What happened to OpenGL.org?

Started by benjamin bunny Sep 1, 2003 at 9:03 AM 22 replies 2.5k views
davepermen
davepermen
yeah, its offline now for more than 24hours, i think.. hm.. possibly more, possibly less..

well.. 99% is perfect, except when it comes to stability :D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia
My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud
Anthony Serrano
Anthony Serrano
I''m guessing the servers went down and, it being Labor Day weekend here in the states, no one is around to get them up and running again. If it''s not up again by about 7:00 PM UTC on September 2nd, we may have reason to worry.

Digitalfragment
Digitalfragment
Id say the same thing that happed to my TAFE and thousands of home & business computers - the W32.blaster.worm
jeeky
jeeky
I was wondering the same thing. I think it has been down since Saturday.

Does anyone know what is up?
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
quote:
Original post by jeeky
Does anyone know what is up?


not the website

KalvinB
KalvinB
"I like to think that opengl.org doesn''t use windows."

Considering all anyone needs to do to be immune to pretty much every Windows virus and exploit is to run a router and antivirus software, running Linux is a waste of effort.

In order to compromise IcarusIndie.com which is logged in as an admin on Win2K, you''d have to exploit Open Source software.

If they were dumb enough to leave port 135 pointed at a Windows box then they wouldn''t be running OpenGL.org. You can''t be that retarded and run a major web-site.

It was probably just a hardware failure of sorts.

You can always call Tony at 415-865-0645. Considering he''s the admin assist he should know.

Ben


[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com ]


Will Post For Food
jeeky
jeeky
quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
quote:
Original post by jeeky
Does anyone know what is up?


not the website




LOL! g1.
The Great Sephiroth
The Great Sephiroth
quote:
Original post by KalvinB
Considering all anyone needs to do to be immune to pretty much every Windows virus and exploit is to run a router and antivirus software, running Linux is a waste of effort.



I *HAD* to reply to this. This shows how little you know about Linux for one. Linux is a thousand times more stable and can outlast Windows by literal years without rebooting. My record was just under two years on a dual P200 running Debian. Now before you GUI-kiddies scream your lungs out, I am talking Linux here. Did you EVER hear me mention X-Win? No. X-Win is ***NOT*** Linux. X-Win is a GUI application that REQUIRES Linux to run, and then acts as a newbie "point and click" interface to Linux. It is to Linux what Windows 3.11 was to DOS. People who buy whole computers and slap X-Win on them and attempt to run servers WOULD be better off with Windows2K. However, make sure you specify this critical point. I have two Debian Linux boxes beside me, one running a TF1.5 dedicated server and the other running my FTP server. Both have been up without reboot since January. The specs on both are extremely low (TF is a Celeron333, FTP is a P200), yet the TF box runs better than most TF servers hosted on 600 and 700MHz boxes because I run Linux, which means, shell-only. It''s something like a 73mb install plus the TF server.

Anyways, Linux is far more secure, stable, and powerful than Windows any day. X-Win isn''t, but a true Linux box contains a mobo, CPU, RAM, hard-drive, and ethernet card (or some communication device). That''s all mine have. Installing video cards for monitors and such would slow the boxes down. So when''s the last time you installed Win2K from the M$ site without any floppies or CDs? Even then, how did you control your installation and box afterwards, eh? SSH2 baby.

-The Great Sephiroth
-The Great Sephiroth
KalvinB
KalvinB
blah blah blah

You''d be better off throwing Win98 on those systems and donating them to charity so they can be put to good use.

No duh a dedicated system is going to run faster than a general purpose one. Did you actually think you were forming some great point?

"and then acts as a newbie "point and click" interface to Linux"

Yes. Real nerds wittle away hours and hours doing things that have no excuse for not being a simple point and click. Why click "send" when you can fire up telnet and do

telnet www.gamedev.net
etc etc etc

Only luser noobies use browsers.

.bow oh great sephiroth

How may I turn my $1000 system into such a worthless brick as you have that it may run Team Fortress as gloriously?

Ben


[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com ]


Will Post For Food
marijnh
marijnh
Before this thread turns into a completely geeky fight between linux fanboys and linux haters... Does anyone know a mirror containing a recent version of the GLUT source code? I need it but google only keeps pointing me at opengl.org, which does not help much at the moment.

Marijn
stephanh
stephanh
http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

It''s the windows version, but right below the binary there''s a source package, perhaps it builds on your system of choice.

Perhaps there are again power supply problems in the country of the unlimited possibilities.


regards
Stephan


eisscholle.de
marijnh
marijnh
Thanks i was looking for the source code and i could get it from that site.
Power failure sounds like a credible explanation for the server probs, but i''m going to blame it on the microsoft mafia
Wudan
Wudan
quote:
Original post by stephanh
http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

It''s the windows version, but right below the binary there''s a source package, perhaps it builds on your system of choice.

Perhaps there are again power supply problems in the country of the unlimited possibilities.


regards
Stephan


eisscholle.de


Seeing as how OpenGL.org is hosted in California, I doubt that the power problems of 2 or so weeks ago in the Eastern US and Canada would have an effect on OpenGl.org.
Puzzler183
Puzzler183
Uh, it''s still down O____o... This is a little odd being as how late in the day it already is...
The Great Sephiroth
The Great Sephiroth
That just shows how far above your head I went with my statements. Let me re-phrase this for the small-minded. Linus is *NOT* a client-OS. If you''re using Linux to to do regular client things, with or without X-Win, you haven''t a clue of it''s usage or full potential. Client-side stuff NEEDS to be done in Windows, which is what it was designed for. Server-side things such as web-servers, email-servers, and almost anything else should be done in Linux or Unix. I fully agree that for sending emails and browsing the web, a GUI is the way to go. I mis-took you for talking about server applications. Apparently you''re one of those newbies who thinks of Linux as just another OS to point and click your way around in to do the same things you do in Windows, which is incorrect. Why do you think, for so MANY years, the real back-bone of the internet was run on Unix and later Linux? Stability, power, performance. Up until NT came out, there wasn''t much that Windows could do to even hold a candle to the *nix OSes. It is only now with Windows2K that the Windows servers are about on level ground with *nix servers running X-Win, but the real servers, the ones with just the shell, still out-do even the 2K servers with ease.

I''m not some Linux loving geek. I have Windows XP Home on this box and 98SE on four of my other boxes. All are custom-built by me. I run Linux for my SERVER processes though, because it performs better, requires MUCH less hardware which means much lower cost of building the server, and I can access the boxes from anywhere LAN-side using SSH2. Not to mention I don''t have to worry about rebooting them once every month or two like I would with 2K. Yes, I use and code for Windows, but I also code for Linux. Each OS has it''s purpose. Using one for the wrong purpose DOES make it suck. So to your comment about sending emails in the Linux shell, yes, it is a total waste of time. But then again, if you have installed Linux for it''s design-purpose, you won''t have an email client installed.

-The Great Sephiroth
-The Great Sephiroth
jamessharpe
jamessharpe
It seems to be back up now. At least it''s working from my end!

James
Tac-Tics
Tac-Tics
Linux sucks because it''s too damn hard to *get* running.

Windows sucks because it''s too damn hard to *keep* it running.



/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\
"You TK''ed my chicken!"
\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/
KalvinB
KalvinB
"That just shows how far above your head I went with my statements."

Just goes to show how full of yourself you are.

"I''m not some Linux loving geek."

Perhaps then just an egomaniacal geek who bases his entire self worth on his ability to waste time doing things could just as well be automated.

"Windows sucks because it''s too damn hard to *keep* it running."

Only if you buy a POS system (read: Gateway, HP, Dell, etc). I havn''t had issues with Windows since I started building my own systems about 4 or 5 years ago. IcarusIndie.com ran on WinMe for awhile without a hitch. I moved up to Win2K because I heard it was better and because I wanted to use IIS. And WinME didn''t like having 2 network cards which made it difficult to do connection sharing (I''ve since gotten a router). IIS lasted even less long than Linux on my system (a few hours vs maybe 5). IIS only made it live because I didn''t have a second system running the server. Linux never made it live. I had it running a second copy of the site internally for all of about 30 minutes before formatting it and putting Windows back on.

Ben


[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com ]


Will Post For Food
namespace
namespace
Weeeeee!

Its back up!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.