Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Commander Keen

Started by Jeeo Mar 17, 2004 at 10:41 PM 28 replies 6.1k views
Original Post
Jeeo
Jeeo
Hey, does any one know what language Commander Keen was written by? Commander Keen or Duke Nukem, either''s good. Thanks
Jeeo. Jeeo Ruunns.
krez
krez
not to be rude, but why does it matter?
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
johnnyBravo
johnnyBravo
thats just a pointless question hey
Promit
Promit
Just a guess, but I''d say a combination of C and assembly. That''s basically what id software has worked in right through Quake 3.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Mr_Ridd
Mr_Ridd
What the hell? Why can''t he/she know what language it was written in. It may be pointles to you, but who cares. If you don''t know the answer, don''t post just to post.
The ability to succeed is the ability to adapt
yspotua
yspotua
quote:
Original post by Promit
Just a guess, but I''d say a combination of C and assembly. That''s basically what id software has worked in right through Quake 3.


ID didn''t make Commander Keen or Duke Nukem. They were made by 3D Realms.
krez
krez
quote:
Original post by Mr_Ridd
What the hell? Why can''t he/she know what language it was written in. It may be pointles to you, but who cares. If you don''t know the answer, don''t post just to post.

i was curious why the OP wanted to know, that''s all. i didn''t flame or anything (notice the "not to be rude" part?)... hell, i didn''t even say it was pointless... sheesh!
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Monder
Monder
quote:

ID didn't make Commander Keen or Duke Nukem. They were made by 3D Realms.


ID did make Commander Keen, but you're right about 3D Realms making Duke Nukem. Oh and I agree with Promit, Commander Keen will have been writen in C and ASM.

[edited by - Monder on March 18, 2004 6:15:11 AM]
Mescalito
Mescalito
OH... Great games !!! aren''t they ?!

Not sure about this but it might be C and Assembly (optimization and graphic code)
Muhammad Haggag
Muhammad Haggag
quote:
Original post by yspotua
quote:
Original post by Promit
Just a guess, but I''d say a combination of C and assembly. That''s basically what id software has worked in right through Quake 3.

ID didn''t make Commander Keen or Duke Nukem. They were made by 3D Realms.

Commander Keen was created by John Carmack, Adrian Carmack, John Romero, and someone-else-I-don''t-remember-although-he-is-famous-too when they were working at Softdisk.



Muhammad Haggag
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

Endurion
Endurion
AFAIK it was ID Software (notice the id-software-pickups throughout the game?) which was working for SoftDisk (monthly issues of games).

I think they used Turbo C plus assembly (which people had to do that time).
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>
Mkk
Mkk
This is going little off-topic but as long as I know/remember Commander Keen was published by Apogee Software and yes, they were working on SoftDisk that time (when working on first Commander Keen) but they did it without telling to SoftDisk (and still by using their computers) and published it through Apogee..

and the fourth guy that Coder didn´t remember was Tom Hall I guess (game designer).

I have read "Masters of doom" (great book!!) couple of times so that´s where the info (it can still be that I don´t remember everything right).
wrburns
wrburns
Hey, great question, I''d like to know that too. I suspect it''s C and assembly, as the others said. And you are correct that it was ID software that made the game. You can validate this by visiting their website. Also, as someone else pointed out, there were several pickups on id throughout Commander Keen.
GroZZleR
GroZZleR


Booyeah!

[edited by - GroZZleR on March 18, 2004 5:17:23 PM]
Promit
Promit
Every game id Software has ever made except for Doom 3 has been C & ASM. That incldues Quake 3 (the software renderer is ASM).

Pretty much every DOS game in existence that uses graphics is ASM or C & ASM, mostly because DOS graphics are really hard (impossible?) to use without ASM, and it''s a real pain doing an entire project in ASM so they sue C for other parts.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Sneftel
Sneftel
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
id first started using c and asm with wolfenstine 3d. keen was built using something older like pascal.

Uhm.
1: Pascal and C are about the same age. Both were in general use long before Commander Keen was around.
2: id certainly was using C long before Wolf3D.
3: You wouldn''t be able to make Commander Keen without assembly; it''s required for the graphics routines.


"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Promit
Promit
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Promit
Every game id Software has ever made except for Doom 3 has been C & ASM. That incldues Quake 3 (the software renderer is ASM).



Except Quake 3 doesn''t have a software renderer...




I always assumed it did, and never bothered to check, lol. Well, the software renderer, if there was one, would be at least partially ASM. So there.

quote:

However, assembly was in no way at all "required" for graphics. Why would you think this? Graphics in DOS are just writing to EGA (in this case) ports and dumping pixels into memory, both of which C can do quite well.


How do you call interrupts in C?


By the way, anyone happen to have a live id software e-mail I can send a question to?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
SirKnight
SirKnight
>> By the way, anyone happen to have a live id software e-mail I can send a question to?

Try Todd''s (CEO of id) email: toddh@idsoftware.com

>> How do you call interrupts in C?

You can use inline assembly. I think how this is done varies depending on compiler but for MSDEV its _asm{ blah } . So you can do your assembly interupt calling in there.


-SirKnight

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.