Original Post
Heyas all,
Part of the concept of a game I am currently working on is going to revolve around allowing player GM''s. I''d like to discuss the various issues relating to my ideas as I think it makes quite an interesting topic.
My idea is something along the lines of an online game mainly hosted by players with a single server to organise everything (I''m only thinking small scale, not massively multiplayer). The game would likely be a RPG,most likely ina fantasy setting, though I''m considering a Fallout style setting with a few twists. Essentially, the central server would organise the player run servers. Players can move around a map organised by this central server and meet other players in something resembling a lobby area where they may group up with and socialise with other players. GM''s can materialise in the lobby area, and may be treated as a normal player except for the fact that they cannot participate in any physical interaction (no PvP battles etc.). Players would then choose group members and one or more GM to run their game.
GM''s would take control of NPCs (though I may consider adding AI as well, but I''m not sure at present), and would have complete power at their disposal to possess and command NPC''s (ie controlling more than one NPC via commands). They would be able to kill NPCs at whim, reduce or increase their stats, abilities and equipment, send messages to players, all the things that a pen and paper GM could do if they wanted to.
Now, an issue with such great power is its potential for abuse, but I see a possible way to counteract this. GM''s could kill NPC''s and give the players huge rewards for little/no work. To counter this I suggest that all PvP combat be based around a points scheme, where players are rated in points dependant upon their gear, skills, stats, etc etc. Players may set up a PvP server of their making and limit the points of players allowed in so they are ensured a fair fight. I see this system working very closely to how a traditional p&p RPG worked, as indeed, players could effectively cheat their way to the top, but they gain no advantage over other players for doing so as everyone has the option available. I also see this system with all-powerful GM''s allowing for much more flexible roleplaying, as the GM could allow players to improvise, perhaps throwing a rock away from their position to encourage monsters to stray from a guard post, or some other such tactic, encouraging a thinking mans game as much as an all out point and click combat fest. Several GM''s working together, if well co-ordinated could potentially run quite a complex and involving game.
I could also see the role of a GM being an almost entirely separate game in itself, perhaps with a progression scheme in place as mentioned earlier, such that players can give the GM experience points back if they liked their adventure. I would like to keep this entirely positive though, by enforcing that points may only be given and never removed. Perhaps the points gained grant the GM more powers to use in future and perhaps the GM may need to be of a certain level of experience to possess certain creatures.
I also am considering having an uncharted expanse of land, which will be home to player created maps, as I plan on distributing my level editor should I ever complete my work. In this area, the lobby would be a standard lobby, but the maps would be player created, and streamed in compressed format to the participants machines (similar to how Gang Wars did for its E3 trial), effectively allowing modders to include their content in the actual game, making the world that much more huge, without requiring extra effort on my part.
Anyhoo, I''m straying off topic a little, so if you have any ideas regarding the possibilites of a GM based game (I believe Neverwinter nights did something similar to this?), any issues or suggestions, or anything at all... please post away!
Cheers,
Steve AKA Mephs