Original Post
I know there have always been tons of posts on game AI boards asking about LISP, what it is, and if it''s used in commercial games.
Given that LISP is used in few commercial games, is it worth becoming fluent in anyway?
I am considering persuing it for two reasons:
A.) It is used in academic papers. Being fluent in LISP allows a person to stay on top of the latest developments in AI.
B.) It can be embedded into game engines. I heard that Halo uses an embedded LISP-like language for AI. Could embedded LISP-style languages benificial in the long run?
I''ve been reading through LISP by Winston & Horn in my free time for the past year, and I have to say that while I''m familiar with many of LISP''s features, when it comes to coding in LISP, I have the speed and effectiveness of a slug.
What''s with this language? There are too many parenthesis and stuff. I really like the transparency of lists in LISP, and have researched the benefits of functional programming, but I''m still not convinced that I can code anything in LISP with more ease than I could in C++.
Should I persue LISP until I am fluent in it? Any advice?