Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Guitar Multi-Effects Software

Started by haircut_rabbit Jul 4, 2004 at 6:33 AM 1 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
haircut_rabbit
haircut_rabbit
What do you think about the possibility of programming software that alters the sound wave of the input much like a hardware effects pedal would? The problem I see with it is that it would take some time to convert the analogue audio to digital audio, and then alter the digital signal, causing some latency. Do you predict that the latency would be noticeable and/or be significant enough to distract the guitar player? I guess what I mean is, it would be fun to program somthing like this but I don't know if it would be worth devoting a bazillion hours to something that, in the end, is useless.
jbadams
jbadams
I suspect there would certainly be some latency involved in such a process, and therefore as a guitarist, I dont think I'd want to use this, except perhaps to occasionally experiment with what weird effects I could produce through its use. Especially since its much easier to just plug in an effects unit than to fire up the computer and run a program anyway.

But you could still look into it and do something if you want to do it just for the challenge. For something different you could try instead if you decide against it, you could have a shot at programming some fancy visualisations to go with music.
- Jason Astle-Adams
brain21
brain21
There is some software out there that does that. I've tried it out and there is some latency (delay) when playing. I didn't like that. I was thinking of designing some hardware that does this. Just a Digital signal microcontroller that you can download different sound effects to. Maybe through USB or CompactFlash card. That would be cool! But the project is on hold for now.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.