Original Post
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2004-06/sunflash.20040628.3.html I am dumbfounded at how stupid their marketing team is. After dealing with the Java 1.1/Java 2.0 debacle they appear not to have learned a thing. Do they really think that programmers are stupid enough to think "oh man, it jumped to 5.0, it must be sweet now!" Obviously they are aiming this at the managers and the people that aren't actually writing the code. What is more, the acronyms are J2SE 5.0 and J2EE 5.0. What does the 2 mean now? Normally I'd just laugh at stuff like this and not actually post about it, but I end up disliking any technology that thinks it is so important it needs: 1. a control panel 2. a system tray icon 3. background updating services I like to call it 'foistware' because it just sticks itself into every corner it can to build up brand awareness and name recognition. (Real and QuickTime fall into this category as well.)