Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

cidaemon?

Started by mikeman Sep 22, 2004 at 8:35 AM 2 replies 7.4k views
Original Post
mikeman
mikeman
Has anyone heard of this?I noticed,while working on my game,that from time to time the frame rate dropped from 100FPS to 15,without any reason at all.The situation remained for several minutes,then suddenly all worked fine again.I checked the Task Manager and saw that there is this process,"cidaemon.exe" that runs in the background,and sometimes it takes the whole CPU(97-99%).I understand it has something to do with file indexing for quick searches,but I don't want it to slow down my system.Can I remove it safely somehow?
boolean
boolean
From what I understand, cidaemon.exe is used to index the files on your computer for faster reading. If one of the files is corrupt, windows gets stuck in a loop trying to read it. To fix it:

1. Right click on any drives that are using NTFS, then select properties.

2. Make sure that 'Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching' is turned off.

If anyone else knows of a better way to fix this, please post your suggestions.

dorix
dorix
You should be able to turn off and disable the Indexing service by opening the Services console (either go through the Control Panel / Administrative Tools, or do Start->Run->"services.msc"), find the "Indexing service", stop it and set the startup type to Manual.

And that ought to do it. Alternatively you can open "My Computer", right-click on each of your drives and pick Properties, and uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching". If all of your drives have that unchecked, then cidaemon *might* stop bothering you. Disabling the Indexing service would probably work better though.

Note that if you do a lot of searching for files, you might want to leave the Indexing service on. Or figure out a way to arrange your stuff such that you'll be able to easily find anything you need.

- dorix
Promit
Promit
Hmm. My computer never indexes or defrags unless I'm not doing anything at all.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.