describe your setup when coding

Started by
27 comments, last by JTippetts 19 years, 4 months ago
I have my computer on my desk. I usually have a book or 2 also sitting here for reference. I sometimes have music playing or wear my headphones. I have a controller connected to my comp for some games. I usully have the internet on and have gd.net up and also usually have some downloads running in the background. I usually take a break after every new file or so. I have been doing java lately. So how about everybody else???
Advertisement
coke, cigs and stuff.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
When attempting a serious coding session at home.

• Music with simple patterns (headphones)

• Closed door, preferably

• Lots of good old H20

• Easy to eat food which does not screw my keyboard (Dried fruits work best)

• Good lighting

• Useful Reference books on the desk

• MSDN/Google on my first screen; IDE on my second screen

• Unplugged telephone

• I go to to the toilet before starting

• Light physical exercise first is a plus.

The key of a good coding session for me is comfort and as few interruptions as possible. I can't stand any distracting stuff either. TV is your ennemy.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
I have the GDNet articles index open in one tab for quick access to things I might not remember how to do off the top of my head. I keep google open in another tab for quick access to anything I need to know. If I'm writing c/c++ code I'll have dev-c++ open and ready to go. I usually code outside on my porch with a cup of medium-caffeinated coffee and a pack of smokes. I'll code for a bit, go inside and poor myself another cup of coffee, light up another cigarette, and then get working. What I ought to do is buy a copy of "The C++ Programming Language," so I can stay off of the Internet. GDNet forums are such a distraction [grin].
IDE on screen, keyboard, mouse, me, chair.

That's really all there is to it.

CJM
Ok, on my main monitor i have 4 virtual desktops. On the first I have Emacs with the Speedbar, second I have a console or two for compiling and running whatever I'm working on and moving around files etc. On the third I'll have firefox open with a couple of tabs for non-work websites like gamedev etc. On the forth I have firefox with a bunch of sites open relevant to whatever I'm working on. On my second monitor I usually just have 2 virtual desktops.. one for gaim and one for a music player (currently a toss up between xmms and muine, neither are particularly perfect).

As for what's on my desk (at the moment), other than computer stuff, it's basically filled with crap. Used tea/coffee cups, plates, beer cans, shoe laces, cds, plectrums, apple cores, used teabags, bits of paper etc. The exact items on my desk usually vary from tonnes (or tons.. which ever is more) of crap like it currently is, or completely bare apart from the essentials).

So there it is.. I don't know how people can cope with just one or two screens and no virtual desktops. I gets so hard to keep track of things that way.
Usually mess on the table ([piles of]papers, cds, phones, cell phone), good music on, something to eat, and the most important of all, a cup of coffee.
IDE on the left screen, email/sourcecontrol on the right, and a small city made of paper and wires in between the two :)

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

How do I get virtual desktops?
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Code open in one virtual desktop, which I avoid like the plague.

Anything else on another one where I spend most of my time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement