describe your setup when coding

Started by
27 comments, last by JTippetts 19 years, 4 months ago
About 5 different projects open at the same time (my old code)... and then there's shoutcast radio.
Advertisement
Hmm everytime it's different, maybe some music, tv on the right, opera + google , gamedev forums , maybe some book or somekind of database , but each time I have a paper and pen nearby.
after actually having done quite some coding in the last few days, i feel owrthy of replying.

-no music
-in other words: no disturbances (im home alone now, no uni, best coding conditions evar)
-gamedev browser window
-google browser window
-misc browser window
-language reference
-text editor

i usually code in +- half hour bursts. in between i see to my primary human needs (that includes spamming the lounge), and while im not actually writing coding im going over the problems in my head. usually the best ideas come during code breaks.

man ive enjoyed coding so much the past few days, it reminded me again why ive been doing it for so long. i really want to continue on my project now, but i have a little conflict of interest: i was going to visit my gf over the weekend. man how i am going to miss my project, ill probably be thinking about nothing else while i should be giving my gf attention :P.
Quote:Original post by King of Men
Does anyone have any experience running virtual desktops in Windows? Google gives me lotsa stuff, but I'm not sure how to pick the good ones out. Anybody care to recommend a good tool for this?

I guess that Microsoft would know best: It's called Virtual Desktop Manager

Anyhow, my setup is (at the moment) VS.NET 2003 is open, WMP10 is playing some rock in the bottom right (headphones), I have an explorer window open on the project folder, Milkshape 3D 1.7.2 is loaded and Photoshop is cheerfully being used to shunt textures around.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Thanks benryves. Hope it doesn't mess up any full-screen games for me. (Fear and trepidation, beings install.)
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Thanks Ben.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
*puts on scottish accent*
cans... Cans! CANS!!!! of Coke strewn about! all piled by the hundreds!

with papers and notes and half eaten meals from days past.

60 windows open

music, no head phones

all of the common tools open (VS,PS,Poser,Notepad,Paint,our tools,etc)

cat, sitting on the back of my chair

needless to say, i like everything thrown into a pile when im working on somthing.

thank goodness i have a maid to clean my apartment :-D

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Quote:Original post by Michalson

Nuff said.

Looks like you've got everything you need!
Grant Palin
Michalson, that is the coolest damned thing I've ever seen. I gots ta find me one a those!

My typical coding session--

Headphones on, listening to either the radio or various selections of Tool, A Perfect Circle, Thornley, Shinedown, etc... on XMMS. No virtual desktops for me-- one IDE window and 2 terminal windows (for calling up man-pages, running the Gimp if needed, etc...). XChat minimized in the task bar so I can pop in to #gamedev every so often and babble nonsense. GEdit open and minimized with various multiple tabbed documents, mostly scripts to be executed by whatever engine I happen to be hacking on currently.

That's about it, really.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement