please, let me know your opnion about this video card

Started by
27 comments, last by curtmax_0 19 years, 1 month ago
$40 is a steal for that card. It's an excellent value card. Don't expect to play Doom 3 at full settings at 60FPS with it, but you won't be far off!
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Advertisement
I used to have that exact card, and it will 'done you good' with the modern games. Nothing beats a 6800Ultra though :)
gib.son
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Quote:Original post by christian h
I hope that you don't use linux ;)
(I prefer nVidia, in every aspect..)

ch.

*grunts in agreement*

*grunts in agreement*

But, just for the record, for 40 bucks, that cards a steal.. I picked up an NVidia 6600 AGP 256MB a while back, and, well, I dropped about 300$ for it (prices suck here in Iceland). So be happy with what you have (when you get it), it's better then anything else you could possibly get for 40$, 80$ and probably 120$ as well [smile]
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
why buy first then ask?

strikes me as kinda stupid. then again it was a good friend, but if you really trusted him you wouldnt be asking here...
Quote:Original post by Eelco
why buy first then ask?

strikes me as kinda stupid. then again it was a good friend, but if you really trusted him you wouldnt be asking here...

I didn't buy it without researching something. I "figured" that it would be a good card for that price, but I just would like to know the personal opinions of the gamer/developers that use/used it. Maybe they could relate some problem that they got with it running some specific application.

My friend knows nothing about video cards. He doesn't use the computer for games or other 3D applications, just for texts, internet, etc. This is the reason why he didn't have interest on that card.

Please, we are not going to begin a discussion about this, OK?! [smile]
Quote:Original post by Mari_p
Hi friends, thank you so much for all replies.
Quote:I hope that you don't use linux ;)

[oh] Doesn't Radeon 9600 Pro support Linux?... or you meant a bad support for OpenGL? [oh]

I read this at ATI's site:

"Support for Microsoft® Windows® XP, 2000, Media Center Edition as well as various Linux distributions"

It does, but it's a pain to get it working. I didn't and just google up "ati driver linux", and you'll get hundreds of reports that ati's linux drivers are driving me crazy!
That's because they haven't updated their drivers to current xorg, they still had XFree86 versions. But as I was checking their site week ago:
[link]https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27[/link]
So their might be some improvement (?).

I'm on GF 6600GT now and very happy :D

ch.
Yeah, I agree with the GF 6600 people. I have one (non GT, OCed...doesn't quite hit GT performance, but it's 2/3 of the way there). PCI-E isn't useful yet, but at least it leaves room for upgrades.

And I like having a hardware DVD decoder with fantastic quality, even if I don't actually make use of it [lol]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
http://www.woot.com

BFG FX5900XT OC 128MB 8x AGP $119.99 + $5 S/H
James Dee FinicalDesigner
ATI cards are next to impossible to get working correctly on linux. (But what sane person actually plays games on Linux?)

That 9600 is a great card, especially for the low price you paid for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement