Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Tactics games.

Started by tobiasknight Mar 30, 2005 at 5:43 PM 24 replies 4.1k views
Original Post
tobiasknight
tobiasknight
Who else here loves the "tactics" series of games? Yea know, Ogre Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics, FFTAdvance, Digaea, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle Tactics, Makai Kingdom, Advance Tactics, etc etc. The isometric small army (like 8 ppl) tactics battle rpg.. usually with multiple classes and such forth.. So.. are there any that I didn't list? Has anyone gone about making a PC port of any of these games. I've always wanted to make a nice pc multiplayer port of that style of engine.. wondering if anyone else has done it, or seen it before. danke danke
-----------------------I wanna know everything....I wanna do something that matters.
Gor435
Gor435
Man do I love "tactics" games.

They are fun as hell and require thought[sometimes].
To me that is an awsome combo.
yapposai
yapposai
yup! love ff tactics. how would you go about the multiplayer aspect? these games usually takes a long time per turn, and it may get frustrating to other players to wait for slow moving players to finish their turn. Making time limits or semi realtime kinda removes the FF tactics feel and makes it more of an RTS.





---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
tobiasknight
tobiasknight
Quote:
Original post by yapposai
yup! love ff tactics. how would you go about the multiplayer aspect? these games usually takes a long time per turn, and it may get frustrating to other players to wait for slow moving players to finish their turn. Making time limits or semi realtime kinda removes the FF tactics feel and makes it more of an RTS.


Well there are already long waiting turn games like Moo2, Civ, Alpha Centauri etc etc.. So it's really not that big of a problem.. anyway, turns in that game normally don't take longer than 1 minute.
-----------------------I wanna know everything....I wanna do something that matters.
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
I've been working on a tactics game... networked too.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Nietsnie
Nietsnie
One of the GDNet+ guys is making a game called Java Tactics I believe. Its looking pretty sweet, but I can't remember his name :p
Salsa
Salsa
Quote:
Original post by Nietsnie
One of the GDNet+ guys is making a game called Java Tactics I believe. Its looking pretty sweet, but I can't remember his name :p


*cough*
Kult House - Fresh Production Media
Densun
Densun
Quote:
Original post by Nietsnie
One of the GDNet+ guys is making a game called Java Tactics I believe. Its looking pretty sweet, but I can't remember his name :p

I think it's H_o_p_s if I remember correctly. [wink]
tobiasknight
tobiasknight
Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
I've been working on a tactics game... networked too.


AND ON A MAC!

GLEE!
I must add you to some sort of list.. so i can watch your progress!
-----------------------I wanna know everything....I wanna do something that matters.
CrimsonSun
CrimsonSun
I'm working on an isometric tactics game. What I'm trying to do is make the entire system modular such that you could load up different rule-sets and scenarios based on what you want to play. So if the official release is based fantasy-type world, anyone could come in and [relatively] easily make a BattleTech-inspired mod for example.


By the way, is that Agrias from Final Fantasy tactics?
Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
I've been working on a tactics game... networked too.
tobiasknight
tobiasknight
Quote:
Original post by CrimsonSun
I'm working on an isometric tactics game. What I'm trying to do is make the entire system modular such that you could load up different rule-sets and scenarios based on what you want to play. So if the official release is based fantasy-type world, anyone could come in and [relatively] easily make a BattleTech-inspired mod for example.


HA me too!

-----------------------I wanna know everything....I wanna do something that matters.
tstrimp
tstrimp
Have any of you played Tactics Arena? If not it is definitly worth checking out!

Here ya go!

It's a flash based online "tactics" game. It's also free! You can pay $5/month if you want access to new units etc.

Here are all of the units currently available.
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
How about the Front Mission series?

there are 4 of em.. ranging from snes to ps2.

They are making Front Mission Online as well, which I believe will have a PC version.
GroZZleR
GroZZleR
Fallout: Tactics can be turned into turn-based (both squad turns and individual unit turns), but playing it in the "real-time turn-based" mode is equally fun. You can setup some pretty sweet ambushes and employ plenty of tactics to achieve your goal. Good fun.
PnP Bios
PnP Bios
Quote:
Original post by curtmax_0
How about the Front Mission series?

there are 4 of em.. ranging from snes to ps2.

They are making Front Mission Online as well, which I believe will have a PC version.


Sweet Jesus on a cross! I would buy that for a dollar!

What? No Shinning Force yet?
tobiasknight
tobiasknight
Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios

Sweet Jesus on a cross! I would buy that for a dollar!

What? No Shinning Force yet?


oh yea, good game series! =)
-----------------------I wanna know everything....I wanna do something that matters.
Zahlman
Zahlman
I can't believe noone's mentioned Fire Emblem yet. What, the FF series gets all the press, FFT included... [cry]
LockePick
LockePick
Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
I can't believe noone's mentioned Fire Emblem yet. What, the FF series gets all the press, FFT included... [cry]

I was actually going to, then I got distracted and never got around to posting it.

Advanced Wars is another one to mention. Really similar to Fire Emblem when you think about it; just with expendable units, and base building instead of inventory maintaining.
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
Quote:
Original post by CrimsonSun
By the way, is that Agrias from Final Fantasy tactics?


Yup.

What can I say? I'm alright with drawing sprites, but drawing them in the isometric view is something that I have had no experience in... so Agrias is my puppet for now [smile]
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.