Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

HTML Character Entities get converted when editing

Started by Agony Apr 3, 2005 at 1:59 PM 4 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
Agony
Agony
Maybe this has been addressed before, but is there a reason why character entities, like < and >, get converted to their respective characters, < and >, when you edit a post? (This other thread inspired this new thread.) Because then you have to go through the post and set all the s and whatever other character entities you have back to &*;. And if you have a lot of these, then it gets really tedious, and if you miss one, you have to edit your post again, and fix them all again. If I type < in my original post, I want the edit post box to also say <, not <. [edit]See, I messed up my link, and had to go in and edit all my things back to the way they were. In fact, it actually turned &lt; into <. It processed my text twice, turning it from &lt; into < into <. Craziness.[/edit]
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas nly, and not for things themselves." - John Locke o
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Go to edit your post, and look at the page source, and you'll see [smile]
The
Agony
Agony
Something weird is still going on before it gets to the browser. I had "&lt;" and "<", but when I view the source for the textarea box, all I see is "<" and "<". The "&" is getting converted to "&" before it ever gets the browser.

And for some reason, it decided to convert "miss one" to "miss one", which I find really odd. But that's an irrelevant and minor thing.

[edit]I give up on all this editing. It's messing with my head, and I keep making mistakes. Grr.[/edit]
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas nly, and not for things themselves." - John Locke o
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Agony
And for some reason, it decided to convert "miss one" to "miss one", which I find really odd. But that's an irrelevant and minor thing.
That's changed by the forum software I think. I don't know why though...
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos
This bug should be fixed with the new code release. Since we have updated our development procedures as well as our hardware the first one will be a bit delayed but after that it should be easier to launch releases.

---
Michael Tanczos
Agony
Agony
Good news, and much thanks. [smile] I'll proceed to be patient now.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas nly, and not for things themselves." - John Locke o

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.