Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[java] Java is my friend

Started by DanLatimer May 26, 2005 at 8:34 AM 31 replies 4.8k views
Original Post
DanLatimer
DanLatimer
I hope you like my poem about java! ;) I like Java, Java is my friend, It's programs wont distroy my computer B/C they run through the JVM!!! -dan
Optus
Optus
Very nice, rating++!
PaulCesar
PaulCesar
so poetic... i bet you get all the ladies
johnhattan
johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.
(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually
Darragh
Darragh
Quote:
Where's the part about Java's memory usage bringing your machine to a halt? :)


I think even Shakespear would be hard pressed to make peotry out of that![smile]

To garbage collect or not to garbage collect, that is the question...

Hmmm....
Drew_Benton
Drew_Benton
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.


[lol]
supercoder74
supercoder74
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.


[lol]
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
CaptainJester
CaptainJester
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.


It's pretty sad when a staff member trolls.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][
HellRaider
HellRaider
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.



ROFL
jsgcdude
jsgcdude
Quote:
Original post by CaptainJester
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.


It's pretty sad when a staff member trolls.


In this case, How can you argue it's allowable? See 3/16/2004 entry. John's earned the right to say wtf ever he wants about java... imho of course.

------------------
DanLatimer
DanLatimer
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.


lmao your poem works too heheh
tebriel
tebriel
Well the argument he's making is that Java's "libraries" are a mess. And really, I think most people would agree with that statement.

How about:

I don't want to cause any drama,
I but I really can't stand Java,
Because to play a first-person-shooter,
I'd need a super-computer!


Ok, so it's not entirely true, lighten up, it's funny!
[lol]
pinacolada
pinacolada
Java hates you all. Do not taunt the Java.
johnhattan
johnhattan
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by jsgcdude
Quote:
Original post by CaptainJester
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
I like Java.
I'd never uninstall.
Its programs won't destroy my computer,
Because they barely run at all.


It's pretty sad when a staff member trolls.


In this case, How can you argue it's allowable? See 3/16/2004 entry. John's earned the right to say wtf ever he wants about java... imho of course.



Ah...you mean, because he doesn't know how to read documentation plain and clear he has the right to troll?
Exactly. Trolling is a right that I've justly earned.

That being said. . .

I really do like Java.
Please don't think me a jerk.
Everything's got eight function calls.
And one of them will work.
(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually
Aldacron
Aldacron
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
Trolling is a right that I've justly earned.


But code like this (taken from the referenced blog entry) earns you nothing but the Common Noob Mistake award: Answers.addElement(new String("")); [embarrass]

I know you're not a noob coder and this is not a flame, but that's as big a noob mistake in Java as there is. Two cookies to the first who can explain why!
averisk
averisk
Quote:
Original post by Aldacron
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
Trolling is a right that I've justly earned.


But code like this (taken from the referenced blog entry) earns you nothing but the Common Noob Mistake award: Answers.addElement(new String("")); [embarrass]

I know you're not a noob coder and this is not a flame, but that's as big a noob mistake in Java as there is. Two cookies to the first who can explain why!


This has the same effect and is more clear:
Answers.addElement("");

Though I'm not sure that's what you were getting at
Aldacron
Aldacron
Quote:
Original post by averisk
This has the same effect and is more clear:
Answers.addElement("");

Though I'm not sure that's what you were getting at


Well, you've got the code right, but not the reasoning behind it. It isn't the same at all. Only one cookie for you.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.