Programmers: Did you Build Your Computer?

Started by
81 comments, last by lethalhamster 18 years, 10 months ago
I found that just buying them according to my spec was always cheaper than building my own. Plus store-build computers will instantly replace any defective parts automatically (at the store-workshop). Then they run them for a while to ensure it's all working.

I can't see any practical reason to build them (its risky, time consuming, headache if something goes wrong). I'll admit it's fun for sure though, but your talking a lot of money here too...
Advertisement
I bought all the parts and put it together. I wouldn't call that building a computer though. Just assembling one, like furniture from Ikea.
yeah i've built my own floating point CPU .. her ermm..
no.. but I did put together my own comp. form older and new parts.
ut in the next year the good ol' sucker goes to the junk yard because I want to swith to only laptop use (environment friendly and small)..
Yep, I made my own chips from sand, soldered 'em together, and it works...
Installing a $300 CPU into a $300 mobo scares the shit out of me, so I let the techs do it.
Quote:Original post by GroZZleR
Installing a $300 CPU into a $300 mobo scares the shit out of me, so I let the techs do it.

Boom? "It shipped defective!" :P. Of course, that said, I did get two defective mobos last time I built a computer, and that can be kind of creepy too. (Why isn't the POST coming up? Did I do something wrong?)
Mine is a rebuilt Compaq AP550 that I grabbed off of corporate auction. Aftermarket, I bolted on a window, a couple of SCSI cards (for a total of 10 channels), a new video card, more memory and a small SCSI array.

I keep meaning to replace the internal fan with a quieter job and drop the internal drive bay down so it isn't as much of a pain. I consider it slightly similar to rebuilding an older car; it's obviously not assembled completely by yourself but after a given amount of time you develop familiarity with it.

My previous workstation rig was actually a hand-built ("FrankenMac") Macintosh G3; I ordered in the components from scrap dealers and slapped it together myself. I have a CPU from a different line of G3 than the case, and the motherboard is a different generation than either.
I'm ripping apart some old Apple ][ disk drive cases and plan to put a computer inside of them, this very day [lol] not that i have the money lying around to buy the parts or anything.. i'm just bored, and want to do it in the future. but yes, i'll build this computer and hopefully it'll work.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
I've built a 4-bit TTL-based computer for my senior project that performs logic functions with addition and subtraction.

For desktop computers, my first one was a pre-built HP, then I built the rest. The one I have now, my laptop, is pre-built since those little screws will always seem to come into excess after assembling.
Well, it depends on what you mean by build...

There's the build where you do everything with silicon (transistors, etc...) and solder them all together in circuits, and there's the build where you buy and assemble various boards/cards (motherboard, video card, audio card, etc.) and put them all in a case.

I do assembling...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement