Programmers: Did you Build Your Computer?

Started by
81 comments, last by lethalhamster 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
It's cheaper to build your own (if you already have a monitor) and you get all the parts you want. I don't see why anyone wouldn't.

It's tough to beat the price of a pre-configured system from someone like Dell if you build your own. The only reason I build my own now is so I can get exactly the parts I want, not to save money. In fact I'm not even sure I'll bother doing that for my next PC - companies like NCIX will let you select all the components you want and then for an extra $50 CAD or so will assemble it for you, install the operating system and check it all works. Given the time I would spend doing it myself that's probably worth paying.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Advertisement
Build most of mine (except the very first which my dad bought for me, a POS pentium 60mhz), and my brother's too (his training complete will be when his own computer he builds hmm).

Imagining stupid so called techs installing a $300 CPU into a $300 mobo scares the shit out of me, so I do it instead.

I find the amount of excuses for not building your own computer here rather disturbing. [lol]
For all of you bent on interpereting "build" as "soldering, molding plastic parts, constructing motors, mining for ore, etc.":
Quote:
build
v. built, (blt) build·ing, builds
v. tr.

1. To form by combining materials or parts; construct.

-dictionary.com

The OP's use of the word "build" is completely accurate. I recommend that you not be so extremist. :P

Anyway, I built mine.
yes i have Assembled all my computers myself(except for the laptop..). i've assembled alot for my friends and family. i would never pay 80$ for letting some 15-year old kid assemble it for me: "Power on! w00t, the led is blinking: It works! Now i'll ship it on". i've experienced this a number of times where the computers that some of my friends had ordered was in a very unworking state because screws were short circuiting or cables missing.
I built my computer. I live in New Zealand where the choice of pre-built machines wasn't that great a couple of years ago. I really wanted an all black PC, so i decided to build my own. It cost me about NZ$3,000 but its never given me any problems apart from one bad memory stick.

I'll probably build another one next year when the dual-ATI card moetherboards come down in price. :)
----------------------------------------------------
Check out my casual TBS game blog
----------------------------------------------------
I've built all mine (except for my laptop) as well. Sometime i'd like to wire up an i386 and see if I can build my own mini-pc :)
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
I bought my most powerful one 5 years ago. I have since doubled its RAM, replaced its harddrive, and gave it a DVD burner. I also gave it a new mouse. Keyboard is still the same though.

My favorite computer was given to me as a gift something like a year or so ago - it's an eTower 566i2. It's RAM has been replaced and I gave it the CD-RW from the above computer. I also gave it Win2000. It's just so quiet and small that I dont care that it only has 566MHz or 7.5GB. I also dont care that it's power supply isnt capable of powering the CD-RW and its original CD-ROM so I have to keep the CD-ROM unplugged. It's just so much better than any of your machines.
Quote:Original post by Max_Payne
In my (perhaps biased) opinion, a true programmer should build his own computer, Just like the jedi build their own lightsabers [wink]

Surely the equivilent would be building your own compiler?
Built my own from newegg. Was very cheap and I got exactly what I wanted and a streamlined copy of windows XP. Have you ever seen a dell default OS? There are about 43 threads running on first boot. Mine has like 15, all essential.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
No, I bought the cheapest one that had what I wanted, and started from there.

Current system:
19 inch Trinitron, 15 inch POS emachine monitor.
768MB Ram
PNY Verto 128MB Fx5500 AGP
Semperon 3000+

It was a Compaq. I never even turned it on. I inserted the XP CD before I even saw what was on the hard drive. I made my own rescue CD. Works awsome.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement