Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

BREW and Cell Phones

Started by alex_r Jul 20, 2005 at 9:47 PM 6 replies 3.7k views
Original Post
alex_r
alex_r
Hi, I'm reading about BREW... I have some questions. 1- I need to pay (and much) for the professional BREW tools, there any home kit? 2- How I send my game to my cell phone? Thanks for the help :D
MustEatYemen
MustEatYemen
You can download the SDK for free from http://brew.qualcomm.com.
https://brewx.qualcomm.com/brew/sdk/download.jsp
You'll need to register with them, email address and your name.

The SDK is the headers to link agaist etc, and includes the emulator. You'll also need to download the Tools kit at the bottom of the 3.1 page to get access to the Mif editor and Resource editor.

Few things. There is not support for Linux or Apple as a dev enviroment, the emulator will ONLY work under windows. To top that off, they use an online java installer w/ a active x control. As such, you need to use Internet Explorer to visit the site.

Ok now for your questions.
1) The current fee's to become a developer is the costs of your 100 digital sig package from Verisign. Currently is $400 dollars. Mind you, Verisign likes money, but they will only sell those sigs to a proper company, after they've done a proper look into your company. If you've previously been verified by them before, it'll make things go alot smoother and easier and alot less paper work. (Make sure they know that)
http://www.verisign.com/products-services/security-services/code-signing/brew-document-ids/index.html
This is part of the process to become a Brew developer. Not the only step but the only real cost up front (True Brew testing is another fee, per app, per platform)

2)You won't be able to send applications to your cell phone until your a registered developer. Will require access to the brew developer extranet, sending your phone to qualcomm, and approiate data cable.

Edit:
http://brewforums.qualcomm.com/
-Scott
ZoomBoy
ZoomBoy
There was a contest earlier this year and they had an article to cover the basics
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2135.asp

The winners with code/samples/tutorials have been selected
http://www.khronos.org/devu/opengles_challenge/
alex_r
alex_r
This is the problem, I like to develop games in my home, not in a company.
You know if there any educational or for home developer plan?!

I have the SDK and I made a small 2D tile based test (like Zelda3 from SNES) in emu, but I like to send this test to my cell phone, but pay US$400 (R$938 here in Brazil) just for made some home game tests is very stupid. There another way?!
MustEatYemen
MustEatYemen
Nope sorry. I believe they are changing this in BREW 3.0 but that is pretty far off (1-2 years).
-Scott
Myopic Rhino
Myopic Rhino
The truth is that BREW wasn't designed for hobbyists, and that's not likely to change.
alex_r
alex_r
And the J2ME? How it work in cell phones?
shmoove
shmoove
J2ME is completely open. All the tools are free and you can just send the jar files to the phone by any means and they should get installed automatically. Some manufacturers have put a few restrictions, to "limit" piracy I guess, like Samsungs that will only allow you to install MIDlets if they are downloaded from the web (and not with bluetooth or IR).

shmoove

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.