Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

artifacts

Started by SlimTimmy Oct 3, 2005 at 3:20 AM 18 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
SlimTimmy
SlimTimmy
I've already created a thread some time ago, but there was nobody who tested the program. (I wanted to reply to this thread again, but it was not possible, I was redirected to the forums overview) I would ask you to download the program and tell me whether these artifacts occur on your system (Could you also post your hardware/driver?) It does not really matter whether you own a 6600 GT, maybe this problem affects a wider range of graphics cards.
NovaCaine
NovaCaine
Hey there SlimTimmy,

Just ran your app, didn't see any artifacts... had it running 4 a couple of minutes.

My system specs (thanks to DxDiag)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: n/a
System Model: n/a
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
Processor: AMD Sempron(TM) 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

and i have a nVidia 6600GT 128Mb card with the latest drivers (78.sumthing)

Will leave your app on overnight see if anything happens then (it's like 10:30 at night here) and will post my results tomorrow.
vNistelrooy
vNistelrooy
No problems here.

Pentium 4 1MB LGA775 3.7Ghz
GeForce 6600GT
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
paic
paic
Euuh can you please tell us what your app is meant to display ? 'cause I only have a black screen, except for a white part at the top of the screen :/
SlimTimmy
SlimTimmy
Quote:
Original post by paic
Euuh can you please tell us what your app is meant to display ? 'cause I only have a black screen, except for a white part at the top of the screen :/


Oh, sorry. That was mentioned in the previous thread.

That's how the graphics card is supposed to render the scene:


But in contrast this image is displayed:


It is basically a homogenous terrain mesh (height is set to 0). At the horizon however the vertices get closer, the triangles get smaller. This seems to cause the ugly artifacts.
NovaCaine
NovaCaine
hmmm, had no problems at home, but here at work i got your 'pixel error' as soon as i started the app. Specs of this machine is:

AMD 3000+ 64-bit
nVidia Geforce 6600GT (BFG tech)
1 Gb Ram
Latest nVidia drivers (78.01)

as you can see there isn't much difference in my 2 test machines ( except my card at home is a pixelview brand )

Just thought i'd add that when holding down 't' the error went away...
SlimTimmy
SlimTimmy
Quote:
Original post by NovaCaine
hmmm, had no problems at home, but here at work i got your 'pixel error' as soon as i started the app. Specs of this machine is:

AMD 3000+ 64-bit
nVidia Geforce 6600GT (BFG tech)
1 Gb Ram
Latest nVidia drivers (78.01)

as you can see there isn't much difference in my 2 test machines ( except my card at home is a pixelview brand )

Just thought i'd add that when holding down 't' the error went away...


Interesting, that's exactly the behaviour I'm encountering.
Which type of connection do your graphics cards use? PCIe or AGP?
Have you installed different DirectX versions on your PCs? (There are differences between the different D3DSDK releases, I have uploaded the newest DirectX Runtime)

Are there are other important differences between your systems?

evanofsky
evanofsky
Works fine for my system:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
2x512MB sticks, one 2700, the other 3200
128 MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ latest drivers
Windows XP SP1
paic
paic
Ok, then I've got the second result (with the artefacts at the junction of the 2 areas)

GeForce 6800 GT (128MB)
DirectX 9.0c
NVidia Driver 78.01
P4 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
Dookie
Dookie
BFG has a tendancy to overclock their cards almost to the point of instable operation. I don't have a BFG card anymore, so I don't know if their driver includes the ability to 'clock down' the card to Nvidia's recommended specs for memory and GPU speeds. If you can, try to clock your video card to Nvidia's specs and see if you still get the artifacts.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw"
SlimTimmy
SlimTimmy
Quote:
Original post by Dookie
BFG has a tendancy to overclock their cards almost to the point of instable operation. I don't have a BFG card anymore, so I don't know if their driver includes the ability to 'clock down' the card to Nvidia's recommended specs for memory and GPU speeds. If you can, try to clock your video card to Nvidia's specs and see if you still get the artifacts.


I underclocked my GPU too, I even deactivated the vertex shaders/pixel shaders one after the other, but it didn't change anything.
But let's see whether underclocking works for NovaCaine. ;)

Quote:
Original post by paic
Ok, then I've got the second result (with the artefacts at the junction of the 2 areas)

GeForce 6800 GT (128MB)


Interesting, that's the first 6800 that produces these artifacts.
NovaCaine
NovaCaine
Quote:
Original post by SlimTimmy
Interesting, that's exactly the behaviour I'm encountering.
Which type of connection do your graphics cards use? PCIe or AGP?
Have you installed different DirectX versions on your PCs? (There are differences between the different D3DSDK releases, I have uploaded the newest DirectX Runtime)

Are there are other important differences between your systems?


not really, just processor and brand of video card.

Its running on agp, and i have the auugust sdk installed (the latest i know of)

Where do i find the "nVidia Specs" are they on their web site somewhere?

SlimTimmy
SlimTimmy
Quote:
Original post by NovaCaine
Where do i find the "nVidia Specs" are they on their web site somewhere?

What do you mean exactly by "nVidia Specs"? I found a document about the capabilities of the 6600 GT. But if you are interested in GPU clock speed (or similar specifications), you might take the N6600GT as a reference.
iequalshane
iequalshane
I had the artifacts also.

Specs:

Nvidia Quadro FX 4400 512 meg
64bit Pentium D Dual core 3.0ghz
2gigs DDR
Windows XP Professional
SlimTimmy
SlimTimmy
@NovaCaine:
Today I thought about the problem again and I was wondering whether you have activated VSync in the Nvidia settings on the computer which displays the errors.
NovaCaine
NovaCaine
@SlimTimmy

On my work machine, which was the one experiencing the artifacts i tried turning on VSync, but still got the errors. Will try on my home machine later today if it's not too late.
NovaCaine
NovaCaine
Hmmm.. VSync is turned off and i dont get the artifacts.
SlimTimmy
SlimTimmy
Quote:
Original post by NovaCaine
Hmmm.. VSync is turned off and i dont get the artifacts.


Thanks for testing. Then there must be another difference between your two systems...
However, some days ago I sent an email with a description of the problem to devrelfeedback@nvidia.com (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/contact_us.html) as I have no nvidia developer account (otherwise I could submit a bug report). We'll see whether this problem occurs due to some driver bug.
matches81
matches81
No artifacts here.

AMD Barton 3200+
GeForce 6800 GT with Forceware 81.85
1024 MB RAM
chxfryer
chxfryer
P4 3Ghz
GeforeFX5500 PCI card (not express, just yet)

I ge the artifacts, but as someone mentioned earlier, if i hold down the letter t, it goes away
::fart::

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.