Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

modeling a tree

Started by Fenryl Oct 27, 2005 at 1:59 PM 3 replies 2k views
Original Post
Fenryl
Fenryl
Whats the best way to model a tree? I tried spreading all the leaves over the tree but wouldn't this slow up the game?
BDePesa
BDePesa
Usually people use billboarding with a few textures. That would probably work in your case, unless you're going for ultra detail.

Maybe a better explanation of what you're trying to accomplish would help.
AnOldFriend
AnOldFriend
I presume you have the trunk and the "base" of the tree done? For leaves what most companies use are alpha maps wich saves a lot of polygons.
Fenryl
Fenryl
Quote:
Original post by AnOldFriend
I presume you have the trunk and the "base" of the tree done? For leaves what most companies use are alpha maps wich saves a lot of polygons.


Yes, I already have the trunk.
I'm trying to make a 'medium detailed' tree.
AnOldFriend
AnOldFriend
ok well I would suggest you use alpha maps for the leaves if you intend the tree to be for a game. Otherwise model each leaf by hand for ultra realism. :D

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.