Jerk on the internet

Started by
224 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
I work a lot, and live alone so its a lot of work to just survive. I have little free time. Counterstrike is an amazingly realistic game and I really enjoy playing it and working with my teammates to accomplish the goals. When I actually have time to sit down and play it, I dont want some dumbass kid ruining it for me and the rest of the team. Im sure you are right, Im sure its tons of fun to ruin everyone elses game, and I bet it makes it much funnier for you when you can hear everyone swearing at you. I dont take the game 'too seriously' but I do play it to have fun and its not fun playing with people like you.

Have you ever played paintball? Its kind of like an FPS, but real life. How would you like it if we played paintball together, and right before the match, I stomped all of your paintballs to a mushy pulp, and then accused you of taking the game too seriously?

The good thing about real life is that if someone is a dink, you can punch him in the face, instead of just call him 'gay'.

Paintball is real life, people pay quite a bit of money each time for the great experience. It seems quite a bit more important than some video game. People shouldn't take a game like that as their life. Some get enjoyment from working together with their team, however, others are not good at the game because they don't spend every waking hour playing it, and it gets ruined for them by those who do spend every waking hour playing it. So they'll generally just find another form of fun, in this case, teamkilling.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ScottC
Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
I work a lot, and live alone so its a lot of work to just survive. I have little free time. Counterstrike is an amazingly realistic game and I really enjoy playing it and working with my teammates to accomplish the goals. When I actually have time to sit down and play it, I dont want some dumbass kid ruining it for me and the rest of the team. Im sure you are right, Im sure its tons of fun to ruin everyone elses game, and I bet it makes it much funnier for you when you can hear everyone swearing at you. I dont take the game 'too seriously' but I do play it to have fun and its not fun playing with people like you.

Have you ever played paintball? Its kind of like an FPS, but real life. How would you like it if we played paintball together, and right before the match, I stomped all of your paintballs to a mushy pulp, and then accused you of taking the game too seriously?

The good thing about real life is that if someone is a dink, you can punch him in the face, instead of just call him 'gay'.

Paintball is real life, people pay quite a bit of money each time for the great experience. It seems quite a bit more important than some video game. People shouldn't take a game like that as their life. Some get enjoyment from working together with their team, however, others are not good at the game because they don't spend every waking hour playing it, and it gets ruined for them by those who do spend every waking hour playing it. So they'll generally just find another form of fun, in this case, teamkilling.

Computers cost a good deal of money. Game's arn't cheap to buy, and in most places neither is the internet connection. And you still put time into in, you interact with other human beings... and your reflexes and decision making is put to the test.
Quote:Original post by Vanke
i'm sure you people have as well

You have said things like this repeatedly and your assumptions are wrong every time. You try to make yourself feel better by pretending everybody else is as malicious as you! Another example is when you state 'Selfish however is another matter simply because everyone is selfish' but fail to acknowledge that there are varying degrees of selfishness and that you are definitely at the extreme.

Quote:I play videogames. I don't think they are anything other then games.

Yet you derive specific pleasure from the voice chat feature which makes the communication even MORE personal than a telephone in some ways. The phone analogy, which you failed to address, is excellent. You are definitely a person who enjoys making prank calls. There is no difference.

To everybody else, notice this thread has gotten very long. If you skipped to the end, please do not read it all. It is the same garbage over and over. A very successful troll post -- he gave everybody who has ever been screwed by jerks online at least a name to shout at. I cannot believe he made his original post without knowing how ridiculous and inflammatory his attitude was.

At least we can take from this the fact that VOTING systems in online games are critical. If everybody hates you, that's one thing you can't get past no matter how little you care about the other people you are playing with. This is a much better solution IMO than restricting the hell out of the game for all players (which is the only feasible other solution, and it often fails.)

Most games I play don't allow team killing even though it is definitely a more fun, complex game with it on; it's practically mandatory to turn it off if you don't have voting (or 24/7 admins). The asshole percentage is just too high. I think there are a LOT of people out there like Vanke. They aren't psychos or freaks... they are regular people you see everywhere who act perfectly decent face to face, and can't handle anonymity when they get it. They simply fail to feel guilt in this particular situation when most people would.

I must add that from an evolutionary perspective, it's a very interesting phenomenon. The Internet (and telephones, etc.) are way newer than our genetic code that handles social interaction. This is one reason why I suggest that it could be TOTALLY 'normal' behavior. Perhaps throughout history, people with these anonymous-deviant tendencies simply have not been exposed or punished, certainly not on a level that would influence reproductive success... Or, I could be wrong and perhaps he would find some sort of 'mischief' no matter what age he lived in!
I'm not immune to logic,

Yes you are.

I just can't make the connection between real life and videogame, in fact the majority of people can't.

The connection is simple, people, like you (ok, forget it, not jerks like you at all) and me, play them and get annoyed when their fun is ruined. I fail to understand what is so hard here to grasp.

Most people see videogames as complete wastes of time,

I'm sure that you have spent years researching and proving that most people think entertainment is a waste of time.

in fact i'm going out with one of those people right now. Hell my girlfriend thinks the computer is a complete waste of time and would be happy if I never touched it ever.

Sucks to be you.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Pop quiz: Which of the following are videogames?

1. Monopoly
  2. Battleships
  3. Magic: The Gathering
  4. Poker
  5. Pictionary
  6. Scrabble
  7. Chess
  8. Dance Dance Revolution

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Vanke,

You're a moron. Not (just) because you fail to grasp the concept of social contract, nor (just) because you vacillate where dependability is called for and argue for special cases where there are not. No, you, sir, are a moron because you are completely incapable of comprehending analogy.

Your real world/virtual divide is spurious, as proven by your attachment to this virtual activity, so you invent some nonsense discriminate about "play." The nature of the activity is wholly irrelevant; what matters is that your actions negatively impact the way others have chosen to spend their leisure time. That is callous and cruel, and there is no justification for it.

Thread closed. You're not going to get it, anyway. You're too immature and wrapped up in yourself to see that we restrain and censor ourselves everywhere because of the needs of others: punching people in the face is actually a lot of fun, but you don't go punching random people in the street because a.) they might punch back, b.) they might sue, c.) they might have a weapon, or friends, and severely shift the odds against you.

You're a coward hiding behind anonymity, and that is just pathetic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement