Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

what 3dmodel format is easiest to read?

Started by invictus Jan 19, 2006 at 8:08 AM 12 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
invictus
invictus
Hi I started opengl a while ago and think I have learned fast. Now its time to start looking into importing models into my programs, but they all seem so complex. I dont need any animation effect like there are in the milkshape models so what I basicly need is a format that just actually have data for the model itself and the texture. I have licence for milkshape so if its possible to export it from that program its a big plus. So what non-animation format is easier to read into the application? thanks for the answers :)
Monder
Monder
MD2 is rather simple, though it does have animation data. The obj file format which is text-based is pretty simple too.
DeltaVee
DeltaVee
.3ds is well documented. Most modelling packages will either import or export .3ds.
D.V.Carpe Die<FONT C
Enselic
Enselic
If you use DirectX the .x format is the easiest, since the SDK contains loading routines for these files.
Neil Purvey
Neil Purvey
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I recall tht the Milkshape format is very simple to read.


Yes, I have used Milkshape 3d files for both my GBA and Windows engines, but I wrote a custom exporter for both output formats. If you only want vertex, texture and normal info then it'll be ok. I will write some maya exporters sometime in the future though, because milkshape 3d is not a very advanced modelling package and has bugs which get annoying when they happen when your short of time!! :(
--------------------------- Demo Or Die!---------------------------
erissian
erissian
It doesn't get simpler that OFF.

But then, you're trading usefulness for ease :)
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
invictus
invictus
Ok I will look at that OFF format first, and then milkshape again.

Althought I found some technical spec for this format it seem to be pretty dead. What tools do I need to create OFF models? Any opengl samples for loading this model? And last but not least; I need a sample model to work against but cant fint anyone at the usual sites...any ideas?
Plasmadog
Plasmadog
Any format that is well documented should be as easy to read as any other. But if this is the first importer you are writing, I recommend finding a format in which you can easily skip data that your program has no use for, like animation for example. That way you don't need to write the whole thing at once. You can write and test each part of the import process one at at time, i.e. first load just the vertices and skip everything else. Then add faces, etc.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
Ravuya
Ravuya
md2 is a good format. Just beware some of the crappy loader tutorials out there, that insist that loading entire structs with a fread call is a good idea.
dpadam450
dpadam450
Why is it when I export to .3ds from blender its not a readable text file? How will I know how to load it if I can't read it?
NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims 
Android_s
Android_s
I'd put my money in the .OBJ file format.
It's in text format and about every modelling tool out there can export to it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
Android_s
Android_s
Quote:
Original post by dpadam450
Why is it when I export to .3ds from blender its not a readable text file? How will I know how to load it if I can't read it?

That's because .3DS is a binary format. You need to get hold of a format specification (or a tutorial) so you can see what bytes to read and when =)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.