Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Hooray no car.

Started by Programmer One Feb 28, 2006 at 12:18 AM 44 replies 7k views
Original Post
Programmer One
Programmer One
So last week Monday I got into a car accident. My car wasen't totaled but is was damaged enough that is wouldn't be a good idea to drive it around much. It is going to take some time for it to be fixed. My girlfriend let me borrow her car for as long as I need, as long as I drive her to work and where she needs to go. So great, I now had a car again. I drive it around for about a week until today. About a few hours ago, her car just decided to take a long juicy shit all over the place. I was driving back when all of a sudden the power steering cuts out completely. I never really realized just how amazingly hard it is to steer a car without that nifty feature. After that happened, all the belts started slipping and there wasen't much power coming from the engine. Luckly, I was close enough to home and I was able to park it without having to push it. When I opened the hood, it looked like there was a party under the hood. This green oil was all over the engine, the top of the hood and all over the road where I had driven the car. Thankfully, I had the engine still running so the oil was still splashing all over the engine and then all over me when I opened the hood. I don't have a nice jacket, pants and shirt anymore. So, in conclusion -> I have no car. [bawling] I think the best thing that could happen to me now is a horse kicking me in the face.
jfclavette
jfclavette


HTH
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by Programmer One
About a few hours ago, her car just decided to take a long juicy shit all over the place.


that's a good way of putting it. I like that.
blueEbola
blueEbola
Quote:
Original post by Programmer One
So last week Monday I got into a car accident. My car wasen't totaled but is was damaged enough that is wouldn't be a good idea to drive it around much. It is going to take some time for it to be fixed.

My girlfriend let me borrow her car for as long as I need, as long as I drive her to work and where she needs to go. So great, I now had a car again. I drive it around for about a week until today. About a few hours ago, her car just decided to take a long juicy shit all over the place.

I was driving back when all of a sudden the power steering cuts out completely. I never really realized just how amazingly hard it is to steer a car without that nifty feature. After that happened, all the belts started slipping and there wasen't much power coming from the engine. Luckly, I was close enough to home and I was able to park it without having to push it.

When I opened the hood, it looked like there was a party under the hood. This green oil was all over the engine, the top of the hood and all over the road where I had driven the car. Thankfully, I had the engine still running so the oil was still splashing all over the engine and then all over me when I opened the hood. I don't have a nice jacket, pants and shirt anymore.

So, in conclusion -> I have no car. [bawling] I think the best thing that could happen to me now is a horse kicking me in the face.


Yes, some cars do enjoy taking a long juicy shit all over the place. Out of curiosity, what kind of car was it?
DerekSaw
DerekSaw
Sorry to hear that but...
In my country, there's a good rule of thumb for buying car - avoid Korea, China, Malaysia made cars.

"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching n the event horizon" o
Programmer One
Programmer One
Well, I'll be sure to remember that when I go visit...Dragonland.
xanin
xanin
Mmm, sounds delightfuly like your serpentine belt decided to come off, thereby no longer driving your waterpump or enabling your powersteering. Your car then overheated, given the lack of cooling, the coolant exceeded the pressure release point and the coolant overflow opened and began to liberally lubricate the place with coolant. BTW, that stuff is pretty toxic, so I hope you wahsed up thoroughly and got those clothes thoroughly cleansed.

I had a car do that to me once, i got to sit in a rather unpleasant end of town an hour from home for a while until I located the nearest Schucks and some tools. Managed to get off the freeway and into a parking lot before I lost too much coolant though.
Programmer One
Programmer One
After a closer look, it looks like the power steering fluid line cracked right where it attaches to the rotary valve. This caused power steering fluid to spray onto the belt drives and thus, with the speed the belts were moving, sling fluid all over the place.

Quote:
Mmm, sounds delightfuly like your serpentine belt decided to come off

A KIA Sephia doesn't have a serpentine belt. It has a multiple belt system. The belt that drives the water pump was still on. (Thank god).

Hell, if KIA Sephia has a serpentine belt, and if it would have came off, I could have just said Goodnight Sweet Prince right then and there. I was still able to drive home...just...kind of loudly and squeakily...without power steering and uneven power delivery...oh, and pouring power steering fluid all over the road.
xanin
xanin
Quote:
Original post by Programmer One
After a closer look, it looks like the power steering fluid line cracked right where it attaches to the rotary valve. This caused power steering fluid to spray onto the belt drives and thus, with the speed the belts were moving, sling fluid all over the place.

Quote:
Mmm, sounds delightfuly like your serpentine belt decided to come off

A KIA Sephia doesn't have a serpentine belt. It has a multiple belt system. The belt that drives the water pump was still on. (Thank god).

Hell, if KIA Sephia has a serpentine belt, and if it would have came off, I could have just said Goodnight Sweet Prince right then and there. I was still able to drive home...just...kind of loudly and squeakily...without power steering and uneven power delivery...oh, and pouring power steering fluid all over the road.


I'm honestly surprised the thing had enough power steering fluid to make that much of a mess, being a KIA and all - didnt know KIA's had multiple belt system as opposed to a single serpetine. Interesting fact that.
CHollman82
CHollman82
Thats not as bad as what happened to my first car. My heater core sprung a leak in the middle of a new york winter and started spraying coolant through the vents, all over me and the windshield while I was driving 75 on the thruway. I've never seen a windshield go from completely transparent to completely opaque as fast as that, it took like 2 seconds and I was completely blind, all of the windows were covered in mist.
codeXtremeif(you->intelligence < radish->intelligence) you->STFU();
Strider_Hiryu
Strider_Hiryu
Dude. there's no such thing as green oil... If the car went out like that, the problem may be more severe than you think, then again, if the power steering fluid suddenly leaked out, that would cause some crazy overheat problems, causing your radiator to possibly over pressurize and shoot fluid all over the place. Sorry about your girl's car though..
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
kanzler
kanzler
Isn't cooling liquid green?
C J W
C J W
Quote:
Original post by kanzler
Isn't cooling liquid green?


I may be talking complete crap but the anti-freeze in the cooling liquid usualy makes it have a green tint.
ToDoList.GrowthRate = WorkRate*2, it's more efficient to not work.
Roach
Roach
Sounds like your water pump went.

Water pumps when they go will spray anti-freeze everywhere, and cause your belts (including power streering) to slip. Thus you could lose power steering (as you stated).

New waterpumps usially run between 80-150 USD depending on the car. Not too expensive and relitivly easy to fix yourself if you know how to turn a wrench.

Roach
Avatar God
Avatar God
Yeah, there's certainly green fluid in a lot of cars. Some are orange or red, it just depends.

But yeah, I had to replace my whole rack and pinion when my power steering went all Psycho on me a while ago... Bleh.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
I feel your pain. My Buick threw a rod a couple of weeks ago, and ever since I've been hunting for a used car that isn't going to die in another month. Great fun.
CHollman82
CHollman82
Quote:
Original post by Strider_Hiryu
Dude. there's no such thing as green oil... If the car went out like that, the problem may be more severe than you think, then again, if the power steering fluid suddenly leaked out, that would cause some crazy overheat problems, causing your radiator to possibly over pressurize and shoot fluid all over the place.


Quote:
Original post by C J W
I may be talking complete crap but the anti-freeze in the cooling liquid usualy makes it have a green tint.


LMAO!!! You guys are priceless...

Strider, how could your radiator over pressurize if you have a coolant leak? Usually when something leaks the pressure goes down, LOL. However, as the coolant heats up it increases pressure on the system and at operating temperatures it is at high pressure. So, if one of your lines were to burst it would spray all over the place

C J W, coolant IS anti-freeze (and water), and yes, it can be green (or orange, depending on if you use dex 2 or 3)
codeXtremeif(you->intelligence < radish->intelligence) you->STFU();
ProperFuked
ProperFuked
Quote:
Original post by kanzler
Isn't cooling liquid green?


engine coolant is green
"Oh, Brother", said Pooh as he was frozen in carbonite.
ProperFuked
ProperFuked
Quote:
Original post by C J W
Usually when something leaks the pressure goes down, LOL.


Well it depends on how fast the pressure builds, right? If the pressure builds up faster than whatever's coming out of the leak, then the leak is the weak spot and if the pressure were high enough, it would erupt in that spot.

"Oh, Brother", said Pooh as he was frozen in carbonite.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.