Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How old were you when you moved out of your parent's house?

Started by ManaStone Mar 2, 2006 at 3:35 PM 66 replies 12.1k views
Original Post
ManaStone
ManaStone
I’m just trying to get a rough estimate as to how pathetic I am. I’m 22(23 next month), going to school, and still living with my dad. I know that it is probably not that common for someone my age to still be living with his parents, but I just wanted to know how rare it is. I assume though that most people here probably moved out after going to college or maybe spent at the most two years at home after high school while attending a community college.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
Well, I moved out while at uni for 3 years, but since I've been home (June 2001) I've lived at home and I'm 25 this year.

Pretty much all of my friends, who are in the age range of 19 to 27, live at home still (although 3 plan to get a house together this summer) or live away because they are at uni.
Stonicus
Stonicus
With today's economy, unless you're super rich, it's pretty stupid to move out soon. Basically, stay until your dad physically drags you out and tells you not to come back.
Mercury
Mercury
I'm seventeen and I'm going to university next year for four or five years. (Depending on which program I accept) After university I plan on moving out as soon as I can because I'll probably get a job right out of university. (I can only hope, anyway)

Maybe I'm not your target audience for the post, though, considering I'm too young to really be living alone right now. In less than a year I'll be living "alone", but in a house with a few others, so away from my parents.
shmoove
shmoove
I moved out when I was 24.

shmoove
PrincessDaisy
PrincessDaisy
Moved out when I was 18, then I went back to college for a year when I was 22 so I moved back for a year, then left as soon as I could!

Daisy
________________________
Pretty In Pink
ManaStone
ManaStone
Quote:
Original post by Mercury
I'm seventeen and I'm going to university next year for four or five years. (Depending on which program I accept) After university I plan on moving out as soon as I can because I'll probably get a job right out of university. (I can only hope, anyway)

Maybe I'm not your target audience for the post, though, considering I'm too young to really be living alone right now. In less than a year I'll be living "alone", but in a house with a few others, so away from my parents.


No, this was helpful too. I'm planning to move out too as soon as I go to another school to get a master's. I should be graduating this semester, but I still have to study my ass off and schedule a time to take the GRE. At my current rate of procrastination, though, I will probably end up missing the fall deadline for registration.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
TomX
TomX
null
cmptrgear
cmptrgear
I moved out when I was 18 to go to college, I moved back in for a month after I graduated, then I moved into a house of my own. Out of my three siblings, my parents said I was the only one eager to move out and live on my own. My Dad's philosophy was once you turn 18 you either go to college or you get a job but either way you arent living here anymore.

On the other hand I have a friend who is 24 and still lives with his parents while he goes to school.

I must be in the minority these days but I have no desire to live with my parents, I much prefer the freedom of living in my own place.
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
ManaStone
ManaStone
Quote:
Original post by Stonicus
With today's economy, unless you're super rich, it's pretty stupid to move out soon. Basically, stay until your dad physically drags you out and tells you not to come back.


Yeah, I definitely know what you’re saying, but my dad smokes and his cigars irritate the hell out of me. Also, I’m tired of hiding any liberal material I have from him to avoid a lecture about how I’m a Communist Nazi.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
A Communist Nazi??!!! Is that...... possible?
ManaStone
ManaStone
Quote:
Original post by curtmax_0
A Communist Nazi??!!! Is that...... possible?


I don't know... he watches fox news.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
I_Smell_Tuna
I_Smell_Tuna
I moved out when I was 17. That was a year ago this month. So far, smooth sailing.
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
18, for two years.

Ran out of money and moved back.

then moved out again at 24, and there's no turning back this time.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Stonicus
Stonicus
Quote:
Original post by I_Smell_Tuna
I moved out when I was 17. That was a year ago this month. So far, smooth sailing.

A lease is a formal contract, and I thought you had to be 18 to enter a formal contract. You didn't move in with your sister or brother or anything did you, cuz that wouldn't count.
Derakon
Derakon
I went to college, but on my parent's dollar (so economically similar to staying at home). Got hired right after graduation, so I've been living on my own since then.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Luckless
Luckless
I'm 20, still living with my parents. (here is the kicker, THEY stay in the basement, I live upstairs,...)

They are a half hour walk from the university, and actually wouldn't let me move out and get my own place closer because it was a waste of money. I get free food, and even get my shirts ironed if I wash them.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
rekishi
rekishi
Depends alot on your country and culture, im 23, in college and the only ppl there i know that moved out are the ones who lived far from college. The vast majority stays with parents till then get a stable job a maybe someone to marry (late 20's early 30's)

And then there's always those who don't go to college(even thou everyone wants college since its free here) and get independent much sooner.
Kevinator
Kevinator
I'm 21, still live with them, hate every second of it. I am going to move out after this semester ends. Somewhere far away preferably.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.