Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

UML anyone acually use it?

Started by Lemonaid Mar 3, 2006 at 11:24 PM 10 replies 3.6k views
Original Post
Lemonaid
Lemonaid
I've been looking at uml software for c++ IDEs and was just curius does anyone acually use or find it useful. I've been looking at it for a few weeks and can see how it could be really useful for software engineering.
Shannon Barber
Shannon Barber
Certainly, I used to have list of tools in the Software Engineering FAQ but it got wiped and I haven't fix it yet :/

A favorite around here is Enterprise Architect.

Rational Rose is one of popular ones, but don't personally like it.

Microsoft makes a special version of Visio with UML extentions that works with the Architect edition of MSVC.

There's a bunch more that I'm forgetting...
The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Omega147
Omega147
I think UML is very handy, but I don't use it. Not for the simple programs I write, anyway. If you were doing a large-scale project, where you'd have like, a hundred classes or so, or say for an rpg game, then UML would be wise to use to keep track of all that.
jwenting
jwenting
Enterprise architect is excellent. I own the professional version and use it to visualise more complex architectures (like the flatfile database engine I created last year).
For simple things with only a few classes it's usually overkill though.

I don't at this stage use the entire UML, but mainly use cases, sequence diagrams, and class diagrams.
Arild Fines
Arild Fines
Quote:
Original post by jwenting
Enterprise architect is excellent.

The UI has too many quirks for me to ever rate it as "excellent".

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
jwenting
jwenting
After using several competing products you may change your opinion.
It's a breath of fresh air after those ;)

Tried Objecteering, tried VP, tried Together, tried ArgoUML, tried several others.
Despite the quirks EA is the best of the bunch.
OrangyTang
OrangyTang
Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Quote:
Original post by jwenting
Enterprise architect is excellent.

The UI has too many quirks for me to ever rate it as "excellent".


EA is just about adequate - unfortunately that still puts it above all of the other UM tools available. The best tool for UML is still a pen and paper (or a whiteboard).
JD
JD
I also use pen&paper for use cases and state charts. I used to use PoseidonUML(Java based) but the screen was too small and program was slow. With poseidon though, I made a nice class hiearchy chart for FoxToolkit while ago. So that would be one example where UML tool is handy.
Sneftel
Sneftel
I use Visio for UML. I'm of the opinion that UML works best as a means of talking to people, not computers, and that programs like Rational Rose go way overboard in what they try to do with the UML. Visio's a nice drawing program, one that doesn't get in your way.
DrewGreen
DrewGreen
I use Rational Rose as it was taught as part of my S.E. course & I'm most familiar with it (though it's pretty ugly). I recently came across Bouml, which is free if nothing else. I haven't really played with it properly yet but it did a reasonable job analysing an existing project I'm working on (just for kicks), though it didn't pick up on links between classes if they were defined outside the class header.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.