Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

I'm feeling ripped off

Started by Black Marq Mar 18, 2006 at 10:25 PM 34 replies 3.7k views
Original Post
Black Marq
Black Marq
Quote:
I purchased this product http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=ULT31664 back in Jan 6,2006. I have had no problem with the ram, but I have yet to received my rebate(for $40 CDN). The reason I bought this product is because I thought I was getting a great deal on it. When I was tracking my rebate at OnRebate.com. The site reported that I had not sent the invoice part of the report which of course is a lie. I followed every instruction to the details(which of course is pretty complicated, but I double checked everything I sent in the mail) My biggest problem with this whole thing is if they said I was missing something why didn't they contact me via email. So then I dicide to send than email to them asking why I have not recieve a rebate or an email about this matter. Then I waited for a response and never ever received an email back from them. So after waiting another couple of weeks I go and check my rebate status again and the link for my rebate no longer exist. So what I am I suppose to do now? I feel so ripped off.
This was the review I left at tigerdirect.ca. When I posted the message I notice that it didn't go to the site right away and is still not there. Does this mean they edit there reviews? The Tiger site claims that all rebates are guaranteed. I'm I the only one that that has gone throught this experience with tigerdirect? I also sent a copy of this to the Ultra support site. I hope they don't decide to ignore my email too.
Raduprv
Raduprv
I bought a laptop from tigerdirect.com last year, and OnRebate.com did give me the rebate, no problems.
However, I bought a PSU from them a few weeks ago, and they sent me the wrong one, and I heard they do send the wrong items a lot of times, so I am not buying from them anymore.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Marques
Quote:
I purchased this product http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=ULT31664 back in Jan 6,2006. I have had no problem with the ram, but I have yet to received my rebate(for $40 CDN).

The reason I bought this product is because I thought I was getting a great deal on it. When I was tracking my rebate at OnRebate.com.

The site reported that I had not sent the invoice part of the report which of course is a lie. I followed every instruction to the details(which of course is pretty complicated, but I double checked everything I sent in the mail)

My biggest problem with this whole thing is if they said I was missing something why didn't they contact me via email. So then I dicide to send than email to them asking why I have not recieve a rebate or an email about this matter.

Then I waited for a response and never ever received an email back from them. So after waiting another couple of weeks I go and check my rebate status again and the link for my rebate no longer exist.

So what I am I suppose to do now? I feel so ripped off.


This was the review I left at tigerdirect.ca. When I posted the message I notice that it didn't go to the site right away and is still not there. Does this mean they edit there reviews?

The Tiger site claims that all rebates are guaranteed. I'm I the only one that that has gone throught this experience with tigerdirect?

I also sent a copy of this to the Ultra support site. I hope they don't decide to ignore my email too.


Tigerdirect deals primarily in refurbs and "questionably aquired" items. Its best not to deal with them on things of value.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Kwizatz
Kwizatz
TigerDirect Sucks,

When I bought my Video Card from them they had a misleading ad on the card page that made you think DooM 3 came free with the purchase of the card, but really it came with a higher priced card. I ordered it (I really wanted the upgrade) and emailed asking whether or not the card came with the game, they decided to answer the email right after shipping the card, that was about 4 days later, since I use a courier service, there was no way I could refuse the package when it arrived, and they said they would not take back the package if it was succesfully delivered by UPS.

Lucky for me, I bought it thru Amazon, so my review of the sale was not theirs to edit, though they did emailed me asking me to put down the review since according to them, there was no misleading publicity, but there was.

Once they get your money, they no longer give a shit about good customer relationships.

I no longer buy from them either directy or thru Amazon and use Newegg instead.
Raduprv
Raduprv
Most of their systems are refurbished, but many other things can't, by nature, be refurbished (such as the RAM, HDDs, etc.)
I never had a problem with the quality of their items. My laptop is refurbished, and works great, although I had to change the HDD.

What I have a problem with is them sending the wrong stuff (have a few friends that told me they were screwed by Tigerdirect).

So my advice is, don't buy from them unless you have no other choice.
Puzzler183
Puzzler183
I think the real question is why use Tiger Direct when you could just use Newegg? Yeah, good call.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
I have never received a TigerDirect rebate.

Rebates suck anyway. A) you pay the full sales tax on the original price, B) the company expects most people to not turn in the rebate info anyway, and C) they expect most people to not complain if the rebate never comes in.

If the deal is good, then they should lower the real price. Fuck this rebate shit.
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
I avoid rebates like the plague. They are a scam, plain and simple.


What possible reason could they exist for besides screwing people over?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
extralongpants
extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I avoid rebates like the plague. They are a scam, plain and simple.


What possible reason could they exist for besides screwing people over?


They exist for the reason that capn_midnight stated. Most people do not ever mail in the rebate forms, but are still inclined to buy a product with a rebate available for it. If those same poeple weren't too lazy to fill in the rebate forms, rebates probably wouldn't be offered very often. The buyers are the only ones whom make it a 'scam'.

As long as you are aware that your rebate money will take forever to get back to you, there's nothing wrong with buying a product that offers a mail-in rebate. Companies are simply playing off of their customers' laziness. Stick it to the man! Mail in those rebates! [lol]

It's also awesome receiving rebate checks in the mail after you've completely forgotten about them. It's like Christmas in July.

[EDIT] - Secondly, you're not saving yourself from anything by avoiding rebates. Products with rebates attached to them are not typically more expensive than those without. By buying a product with a competative price and a rebate, you can at least get some of your money back later.
Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
My parents insist on buying things with rebates, and are very good about mailing them in. They are also very good about throwing the checks away with the rest of the junk mail. It is funny.

My own policy is simple: I don't consider the after rebate cost, but if one is available I go ahead and mail it in. That way I'm not out anything if I forget, or it doesn't show up, or whatever. Its not a terribly aggrivating system.

CM
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Quote:
Original post by extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I avoid rebates like the plague. They are a scam, plain and simple.


What possible reason could they exist for besides screwing people over?


They exist for the reason that capn_midnight stated. Most people do not ever mail in the rebate forms, but are still inclined to buy a product with a rebate available for it. If those same poeple weren't too lazy to fill in the rebate forms, rebates probably wouldn't be offered very often. The buyers are the only ones whom make it a 'scam'.

As long as you are aware that your rebate money will take forever to get back to you, there's nothing wrong with buying a product that offers a mail-in rebate. Companies are simply playing off of their customers' laziness. Stick it to the man! Mail in those rebates! [lol]

It's also awesome receiving rebate checks in the mail after you've completely forgotten about them. It's like Christmas in July.

[EDIT] - Secondly, you're not saving yourself from anything by avoiding rebates. Products with rebates attached to them are not typically more expensive than those without. By buying a product with a competative price and a rebate, you can at least get some of your money back later.


I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Eelco
Eelco
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.

exactly.

all they have to do is deny they ever recieved anything.

there is no way to coerce them into rebating anything, which means it probably wont happen.

i think they are illigal in europe, since ive never seen them over here. which is a shame really: i love seeing idiots being cheated out of their money.
extralongpants
extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:
Original post by extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I avoid rebates like the plague. They are a scam, plain and simple.


What possible reason could they exist for besides screwing people over?


They exist for the reason that capn_midnight stated. Most people do not ever mail in the rebate forms, but are still inclined to buy a product with a rebate available for it. If those same poeple weren't too lazy to fill in the rebate forms, rebates probably wouldn't be offered very often. The buyers are the only ones whom make it a 'scam'.

As long as you are aware that your rebate money will take forever to get back to you, there's nothing wrong with buying a product that offers a mail-in rebate. Companies are simply playing off of their customers' laziness. Stick it to the man! Mail in those rebates! [lol]

It's also awesome receiving rebate checks in the mail after you've completely forgotten about them. It's like Christmas in July.

[EDIT] - Secondly, you're not saving yourself from anything by avoiding rebates. Products with rebates attached to them are not typically more expensive than those without. By buying a product with a competative price and a rebate, you can at least get some of your money back later.


I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.


I've gotten checks for every rebate I've ever mailed in. So have my parents. Some rebates might be scams, but obviously your blanket statement is false. You even stated yourself that you've received 3 rebate checks. Also, in case you didn't read the edit on my original post, whether or not rebates are a scam, you still don't loose anything by mailing one in.
extralongpants
extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Eelco
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.

exactly.

all they have to do is deny they ever recieved anything.

there is no way to coerce them into rebating anything, which means it probably wont happen.

i think they are illigal in europe, since ive never seen them over here. which is a shame really: i love seeing idiots being cheated out of their money.


You don't loose any money by mailing in a rebate - save the stamp you put on the envelope.
Stephen R
Stephen R
Quote:
Original post by Eelco
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.

exactly.

all they have to do is deny they ever recieved anything.

there is no way to coerce them into rebating anything, which means it probably wont happen.

i think they are illigal in europe, since ive never seen them over here. which is a shame really: i love seeing idiots being cheated out of their money.

My father got a rebate as advertised from OKI. They aren't illegal and if they were opporated legitimately allows those who would need a bigger saving to be able to afford a product to buy it, instead of lowering the price marginally on all units, given that most people aren't going to claim the rebate.
Steadtler
Steadtler
Quote:
Original post by Puzzler183
I think the real question is why use Tiger Direct when you could just use Newegg? Yeah, good call.


Because Newegg only ship to US, and US is only a small part of the world.

I agree with several previous posters, dont *ever* touch something with a postal rebate. Especially online and at bestbuy/futureshop.
Eelco
Eelco
Quote:
Original post by extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Eelco
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.

exactly.

all they have to do is deny they ever recieved anything.

there is no way to coerce them into rebating anything, which means it probably wont happen.

i think they are illigal in europe, since ive never seen them over here. which is a shame really: i love seeing idiots being cheated out of their money.


You don't loose any money by mailing in a rebate - save the stamp you put on the envelope.


yes you do: the rebate is part of the deal, and if they dont uphold it, you lose.

if you order a product, you pay, but you never recieve your product, is that also fine by you? i mean, you dont lose any extra money by not getting your product, right?
Eelco
Eelco
Quote:
Original post by stro
Quote:
Original post by Eelco
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.

exactly.

all they have to do is deny they ever recieved anything.

there is no way to coerce them into rebating anything, which means it probably wont happen.

i think they are illigal in europe, since ive never seen them over here. which is a shame really: i love seeing idiots being cheated out of their money.

My father got a rebate as advertised from OKI. They aren't illegal and if they were opporated legitimately allows those who would need a bigger saving to be able to afford a product to buy it, instead of lowering the price marginally on all units, given that most people aren't going to claim the rebate.


yeah, if.

but what makes you think you will actually be getting your rebate? the only incentive the company has for upholding its part of the bargain is a potential loss of image. but you only get your money half a year later, and youve probably forgetten by then anyway. personally, i wouldnt really feel comfortable resting my money in the hands of wether a company feels its image or its money is more important at this particular point in time.
extralongpants
extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Steadtler
Quote:
Original post by Puzzler183
I think the real question is why use Tiger Direct when you could just use Newegg? Yeah, good call.


Because Newegg only ship to US, and US is only a small part of the world.

I agree with several previous posters, dont *ever* touch something with a postal rebate. Especially online and at bestbuy/futureshop.



Nothing is wrong with buying something with a postal rebate attached. Even if rebates were some evil plot, you are not even required to mail one in.

As long as you don't fool yourself into thinking that you are buying a product at that exact time for the price after the rebate, you have nothing to loose.

I don't know why some of you are being so unreasonable about this. If you're deciding between product A and B, both priced equally, and the only practical difference is that A is offering a rebate, you don't have anything to loose by buying A. In fact, you only stand to gain something. It takes about 10 minutes to fill out a rebate form, cut out the bar code, and mail it to the place. If they never send you the money, you don't loose anything except the envelope. No one is trying to steal your money by having you mail in rebates.

extralongpants
extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Eelco
Quote:
Original post by extralongpants
Quote:
Original post by Eelco
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
I'm sorry, but any system where they can (and quite often do) arbitrarily deny rebate claims for absolutely no reason at all is a SCAM.


I've sent in 8 rebate checks over my lifetime. Only 3 of them came back. 2 of the 5 companies said that they never receieved my rebate claim (oh right, the mail just HAPPENS to lose rebate forms so easily, despite the fact that I've never lost any other type of mail EVER), another 2 wouldn't even answer their phones, and the last one said my claim was rejected and they don't have to tell me why.


Rebates are SCAMS. Plain and simple.

exactly.

all they have to do is deny they ever recieved anything.

there is no way to coerce them into rebating anything, which means it probably wont happen.

i think they are illigal in europe, since ive never seen them over here. which is a shame really: i love seeing idiots being cheated out of their money.


You don't loose any money by mailing in a rebate - save the stamp you put on the envelope.


yes you do: the rebate is part of the deal, and if they dont uphold it, you lose.


Yes, you do. But at what cost? Are you really that afraid of 'loosing'?

Not every rebate that gets mailed in results in a failure to receive the money, by the way. I, for instance, have never encountered such a failure.

Quote:

if you order a product, you pay, but you never recieve your product, is that also fine by you? i mean, you dont lose any extra money by not getting your product, right?


That was a terrible analogy.

The original intent of buying a product with a rebate is to get the product, not the rebate.


Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.