Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Genetically engineering a permanent kitten

Started by Ravuya Sep 25, 2006 at 11:36 AM 33 replies 13.2k views
Original Post
Ravuya
Ravuya
Those of you who really like kittens but don't want them to grow up should take a look at this guy's tinkering. It appears deceptively simple to screw around with the genetics of cats. Is anyone here a semi-competent biologist to tell me why somebody shouldn't do this? [Edited by - Ravuya on September 26, 2006 10:24:54 PM]
cloudscapes
cloudscapes
Although it's interesting progress in the realm of genetics, I'm against this particular use.

The "permakittens" would have trouble living in the city. Cat fights happen all the time and if you stunt their physical growth, you'd end up with a consecutive loser. Although genetics might be able to give these widdle bundles of joy wolverine-like claws for extra defence!

Unless you're the type that keeps their cats indoors all the time, it's definatelly not a good idea.
______I have a computer!
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by cloudscapes
Although it's interesting progress in the realm of genetics, I'm against this particular use.

The "permakittens" would have trouble living in the city. Cat fights happen all the time and if you stunt their physical growth, you'd end up with a consecutive loser.

Unless you're the type that keeps their cats indoors all the time, it's definatelly not a good idea.


Thats required by law here now :P We have a serious cat problem outdoors.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
owl
owl
I would prefer to modify their ADN to make them be "inside-out". That way they would look actually cute...

If we can make them perma-kitten, what is going to stop us from making anything we want to them? I guess nothing.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
win_crook
win_crook
This is sick.... Nobody should be allowed to mess with nature
su
su
mistreating something harmless and defenseless is wrong and sick. same goes for dogs etc. do not kick them around because they are not fighting back, try kicking me around when you see me in the street for a change, that should be more fun and an interactive experience.


Quote:
Original post by owl
I would prefer to modify their ADN to make them be "inside-out". That way they would look actually cute...

If we can make them perma-kitten, what is going to stop us from making anything we want to them? I guess nothing.


Kwizatz
Kwizatz
Quote:
Original post by su
mistreating something harmless and defenseless is wrong and sick. same goes for dogs etc. do not kick them around because they are not fighting back, try kicking me around when you see me in the street for a change, that should be more fun and an interactive experience.


If you start to yell at me for no reason and try to bite my calf, I will.
Riviera Kid
Riviera Kid
everything diserves to grow and develope.

At a guess I think the cats would go mad if kept in 'kitten' form.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are tard coated tards with ***tard filling."
AndreTheGiant
AndreTheGiant
Quote:
Original post by cloudscapes
Although it's interesting progress in the realm of genetics, I'm against this particular use.

The "permakittens" would have trouble living in the city. Cat fights happen all the time and if you stunt their physical growth, you'd end up with a consecutive loser. Although genetics might be able to give these widdle bundles of joy wolverine-like claws for extra defence!

Unless you're the type that keeps their cats indoors all the time, it's definatelly not a good idea.


While there are probably 100 valid reasons for not engineering a permakitten, I dont think this is one of them. Thats just stupid. No matter what pet you have, there is probably a bigger/stronger animal out there that could kick its ass if you dont watch over it carefully.
kryat
kryat
they want a stuffed toy, not a living breathing creature.
su
su
Quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
Quote:
Original post by su
mistreating something harmless and defenseless is wrong and sick. same goes for dogs etc. do not kick them around because they are not fighting back, try kicking me around when you see me in the street for a change, that should be more fun and an interactive experience.


If you start to yell at me for no reason and try to bite my calf, I will.



you are right on that, and thank you for pointing that out :) this is self defense and is entirely different than kicking a sleeping puppy sleeping on the sideway. Thanks for the point.
Michalson
Michalson
Someone already mentioned it in the linked items thread, but the first thing I thought after seeing that this revolved around intentionally introducing dwarfism was that was a horrible way of ensuring it had major health problems.

Being a dwarf is not a medically sound condition. Take a look at dwarfism in humans sometime - the social challenges dwarfs/midgets face pales in comparison to the medical problems created by their condition - mostly in relation to the proper formation of bones and joints (basically their spines and joints are screwed up beyond belief), but they also sometimes suffer from problems in relation to their lungs and heart.

Intentionally inflicting that kind of condition on animals for the infantile pleasure of some people who don't want their cat to grow up is sick. It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Michalson
It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.


I've got a really sharp knife we can use! Lets do this!
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
LessBread
LessBread
I don't think this guy has put much thought into what it is about kittens that makes people love them. I don't think it's because they are small, I think it's because they are curious and playful - qualities that eventually they will grow out of even if their bodies don't grow. It's probably too much to ask this guy to get his head examined, so in the meantime, let's call him Dr. Frankenstein and his fantasy abmoninations, Frankenkitties.


Here's a somewhat related story: US company offers hypo-allergenic cats

Quote:

Los Angeles- An American company on Monday began offering what it touted as the world's first hypo-allergenic cats - felines specially bred without the specific gene protein that causes allergies in sensitive humans. The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.

The animals were developed by scientists at the San Diego-based company Allerca using natural breeding techniques. According to company spokesman Stephen May, scientists identified the protein "Fel d1" as the cause of allergies and then found a female with extremely low levels of the protein to start its breeding programme.
...
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
AndreTheGiant
AndreTheGiant
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
I don't think this guy has put much thought into what it is about kittens that makes people love them. I don't think it's because they are small, I think it's because they are curious and playful - qualities that eventually they will grow out of even if their bodies don't grow. It's probably too much to ask this guy to get his head examined, so in the meantime, let's call him Dr. Frankenstein and his fantasy abmoninations, Frankenkitties.


I think your right. Yes baby cats look a hell of a lot cuter, but I think your absolutely right in that a lot of the fun is because they are curious and have energy.

Which is why the current solution to boring old cats is 'catnip' - the cat equivalent of crack.

So keeping your cat drugged up is obviously superior to genetically altering them to be small.

Or is it?
tstrimp
tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
So keeping your cat drugged up is obviously superior to genetically altering them to be small.

Or is it?


Depends. How much are these mini cats?
tstrimp
tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by Michalson
Intentionally inflicting that kind of condition on animals for the infantile pleasure of some people who don't want their cat to grow up is sick. It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.


A lot of pure breed dogs are more disposed to genetic problems due to inbreeding. Should people be allowed to breed thouroughbred dogs then since it increases the risk of health problems? Aren't these just two different degrees of genetic manipulation?
frob
frob
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Here's a somewhat related story: US company offers hypo-allergenic cats

How much for a hyper-allergenic cat?

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.
frob
frob
Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
Which is why the current solution to boring old cats is 'catnip' - the cat equivalent of crack.

Even better than crack because it is non-addictive and has no negative effects to their health or your wallet.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by frob
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Here's a somewhat related story: US company offers hypo-allergenic cats

How much for a hyper-allergenic cat?

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.


The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.