Original Post
I am a huge fan of choosing my battles, in almost every RPG game I play the first class I choose will be the assasin or rogue, whichever can go invisible. However, even in games where you can choose your battles there never seems to be much reason to. This is why I decided that in my game, their will be a tic-tac-toe combat system (with a little more depth). The system will include a modified version of the Five Elements in Chinese Philosophy. The elements themselves are offensive, and an animal that symbolises the element will act as a defensive counterpart. Nature, Fire, Earth, Iron and Water and their counterparts are. Nature: DOTVD (Defence of The Viridian Dragon) Fire: DOTVB (Defence of The Vermillion Bird) Earth: DOTAS (Defence of The Auburn Serpent) Iron: DOTGT (Defence of The Gray Tortoise) Water: DOTTT (Defence of The Turqoise Shark) Nature overcomes Earth Fire overcomes Iron Earth overcomes Water Iron overcomes Nature The player doesn't have to choose the Viridian Dragon for defence if he chose nature for offence, but the Viridian Dragon will still act as a Nature based defence. In a lot of games you do have counters, strengths and resistances, however it seems hardly any developers are willing make these resistances and strengths game changing variables. I'm thinking that if you are up against a defence that counters your offence, instead of simply defending against the bulk of your damage it will completely reflect it, giving it the potential to hurt yourself (I say potential because players can jump and dodge missiles and what have you). On the otherhand, if your offence counters the opponents defence then your move will absorb the defence, thus penetrating it and thus having a damage bonus because it absorbed the defence and used it against the opponent. As you can imagine, facing someone with opposing elements will be a near impossible battle. Though to me this sounds rivetting, and ads to the gameplay I can't help but think: "Will other people want to play a game based on luck of the draw (to simplify it)?" Thoughts, opinions? [Edited by - Timus on October 4, 2006 1:39:32 AM]