Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

decomposing a polyhedron into tetrahedra

Started by _gl_coder_one_ Oct 12, 2006 at 1:39 AM 1 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
_gl_coder_one_
_gl_coder_one_
Hi all Is there any method to break up any given polyhedron into a set of tetrahedra ? I need this for writing visualization algorithms for unstructured datasets. I plan to break down non-tetras into tetras and run a common visualization function( isosurface extraction ) on the resulting tetras. I may be following a totally wrong approach. If this is the case please point it out and give me some direction :)
FReY
FReY
Do you want to break it up into regular tetrahedra or not? If you don't require reqular tetrahedrons, there is a simple algorithm:

1.) select a point p that has 3 neighbours n0,n1,n2 in your polyhedron
2.) remove point p from your polyhedron set.
3.) add tetrahedron {p,n0,n1,n2} to your tetrahedron set.

do unto others... and then run like hell.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.