Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

XNA Game Studio Express Beta 2 ready for download

Started by LetsKillDave Nov 1, 2006 at 7:59 PM 9 replies 4.8k views
Original Post
LetsKillDave
LetsKillDave
Here you go folks, http://msdn.com/xna/gse. Tons of improvements, including the addition of the content pipeline, which will make it MUCH easier to create 3D games. Enjoy!
David "LetsKillDave" WellerNVIDIA Developer Programs ManagerPersonal blog http://letskilldave.comPersonal Twitterfeed: letskilldaveNVIDIA Developer Announcements Twitterfeed: nvidiadeveloper (clever name, eh? :-)
Moe
Moe
Sweet!

That, and I never knew that Dave Weller was a GameDev.net member! Double sweet!
LetsKillDave
LetsKillDave
Quote:
Original post by Moe
That, and I never knew that Dave Weller was a GameDev.net member! Double sweet!


oh yah. I've been a member since...I think 1876 :-)

David "LetsKillDave" WellerNVIDIA Developer Programs ManagerPersonal blog http://letskilldave.comPersonal Twitterfeed: letskilldaveNVIDIA Developer Announcements Twitterfeed: nvidiadeveloper (clever name, eh? :-)
remigius
remigius
I still have to check out XNA thoroughly, but going from what I've read it is starting to look like it's designed specifically for casual games. As the design support for GameComponents has been dropped, this feature has become more like a basic scene graph than anything else (the horror [wink]). I also have some 2nd thoughts about the changes to render targets as discussed by ZMan. Obviously XBox deployment takes some compromising, but with XNA drifting away from DirectX it seems to be becoming more restrictive and less expressive.

Obviously the best way to find out is for me to stop analyzing and start coding stuff with it, but I just wanted to poll some opinions. So, any thoughts?
Armadon
Armadon
woot, what can I say.
XML For the win
cody
cody
im still waiting for xbox support...
there is a new patch for the xbox that says it enables XNA. what does that mean?
jollyjeffers
jollyjeffers
Quote:
Original post by cody
im still waiting for xbox support...
I believe it has been stated with no variation that this will not happen before XNA/GSE is finished. You won't be using the beta versions on an XBox 360. As I understand it, this is due to the potential for buggy/insecure code being given access to production equipement and networks - seems reasonable enough to me.
Quote:
Original post by cody
there is a new patch for the xbox that says it enables XNA. what does that mean?
I think it was in David's blog a few days ago - it just means they're getting things ready for launch. No date has been set but a "holiday season" release would have to be in the next 4-6 weeks so seems reasonable they'll be starting to get the ball rolling [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ |
circlesoft
circlesoft
Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
I think it was in David's blog a few days ago - it just means they're getting things ready for launch. No date has been set but a "holiday season" release would have to be in the next 4-6 weeks so seems reasonable they'll be starting to get the ball rolling [smile]

I wonder if this was the patch that is causing the 'E71' boot error to new 360's [grin]
caledh
caledh
Look, you don't need the DESIGNER support to use GameComponents. It didn't really get you all that much anyway. They made it more extensible by turning it into an interface anyway. Go check out the changes... its worth it. I think the most challenging thing here though is the lack of a Mesh class. I'm looking forward to what our workaround for this is to be able to create Mesh objects at runtime.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.