Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

ActiveX, DirectX, and PNG images...

Started by Mike Nov 15, 2006 at 4:32 PM 0 replies 1k views
Original Post
Mike
Mike
I'm developing an ActiveX control that will be used on a large Intranet. I cannot gaurentte that DirectX 9 will be installed on the PC accessing the website hosting the ActiveX control. For this reason, I decided to use GDI+; however, I'm find that it is not fast enough for what we need. In an effort to centralize all of the files the ATL ActiveX control needs, I stored all of the images as resources in the module. The application uses PNGs for the transparency they offer and I've written code to load the PNG files from the resource into a GDI+ bitmap object. If I'm going to switch over to DirectX, I need to know if it is still possible to load the PNG images with the alpha channel onto a surface from a resource. My current thinking is to get the resource into an IStream and then use D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemory. Would that work? Is there a better way? Also, any good tutorial on 2D in DirectGraphics (or whatever it's called now) would be nice. Thanks.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.