Advertisement

dns and other weird stuff.

Started by April 03, 2001 02:22 PM
2 comments, last by cyanide 23 years, 6 months ago
hi, first of all this is not a core linux post so forgive me for posting it here, but since you linux dudes are such pros at all the jargon with dns and nameservers, i beleive this is still the best place. so, can somebody please guide me as to what is a nameserver and how do i use it. Basically i got a domain called www.thecyanideshop.com with some company net4domains.com and i''ve a friend whose hosted my site at www.sanchit.chaorg.com. now i want my thecyanideshop.com to look as if it is being hosted on the same server as chaorg. BTW i contacted these people who''ve booked my domain and they''ve me to change some nameservers to your host (didn''t work on my first attempt). Though I can change this through a control panel, but like what exactly i gotta put there in nameservers? Also is there anything else i need to change? there are more options like Change Name Server Change MX Record Change A Record Forward your domain to other URL (This last option works but is a really pathetic solution to my problem as it takes two seconds to transfer and the browser addy is also changed to chaorg.com) the site is real bad with no support and FAQ. I wish someone here can guide me as to what to do next. thanks in advance cyanide.
[size="1"]----#!/usr/bin/perlprint length "The answer to life,universe and everything";
I am fairly new to domain names and such and I wouldn''t want to advise you on setting up MX,domain zone files etc

But in regards to your nameserver question, it is my understanding that if you change the nameservers to another host, then that host is responsible for setting up the zone file, at least mine did something like that...

Also did you wait long enough for the nameservers to be changed? The records can sometimes take a few days to update...

Anyway sorry if that wasnt much help, but good luck heh

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Advertisement
I think you might want to look at the documentation for the http server first, because I remember looking through the Apache docs and finding a set of options that does what you''re wanting to do.

joeG
joeG
you got someone to serve your webpages, www.sanchit.chaorg.com. Now you need someone to serve your domain name. The name server must translate your name, www.thecyanideshop.com, into the ip of the server at www.sanchit.chaorg.com. Then the webserver at sanchit needs to set up a virtual host for your name, thecyanideshop, that sets a document root for your directory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement