Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DOS Gui

Started by AcePilot Jun 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM 16 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
AcePilot
AcePilot
I realized this is an extremely stupid question, so I decided to ask in the lounge. Is there any library that allows me to create applications (with GUIs) like edit (type in 'edit' on the dos prompt to get there), or do I have to use the win32 api console functions? Also, it would be better if the library or technique works with vc 2005, since I don't want to download DOS compilers for such useless tasks.
Sneftel
Sneftel
There's a couple of ncurses-based libraries out there which work on UNIX, but I don't know of anything for windows (sans Cygwin).

But why would you want to do this anyway? If you don't want to use the Windows API (and I sure don't), why not use Qt? Or WxWidgets? Or FLTK? Or WTK? Or, hell, MFC?
lethalhamster
lethalhamster
Windows 3.1 anyone?
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Oberon_Command
Oberon_Command
Quote:
Original post by lethalhamster
Windows 3.1 anyone?


I wonder if anyone's ever bothered to write a clone of Win3.1 at any point.
smc
smc
I wrote a clone of edit in x86 Assembly years ago. I think I used a combination of BIOS calls, DOS interrupts and writing directly to the video memory. A0000 to B0000 I think. Dam I am getting old... this was years ago.
∫Mc
LessBread
LessBread
Following the links here, I found this tutorial and this library.

And then there was this thread: Pretty awesome tutorial on making your own Roguelike in C++

And here's a snippet that requires further investigation: Add a little Graphics to your Console

And this might lead to interesting results: Why are console windows limited to Lucida Console and raster fonts?

And this just might be what you're looking for: Windows Console (from gamedev's benryves)


"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
T1Oracle
T1Oracle
Quote:
Original post by AcePilot
create applications (with GUIs) like edit

That QBasic stuff? I think you're on your own there. I doubt it's that hard although it is still work. Unless you are running something serious RAM limitations there is no reason why can't make your own ASCII GUI. Just make the screen a 2D array of chars (80x40?).

Quote:
Original post by AcePilot
I wonder if anyone's ever bothered to write a clone of Win3.1 at any point.

I'd kill for that. Well... alright I might kill a fly for that, but I do miss Windows 3.11.
Programming since 1995.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
... but I do miss Windows 3.11.


[wow] Really? All that fussing with drivers (sound drivers! video drivers! funky mouse troubles), segmented memory, bad programs that crash the entire system, malicious programs that cross process boundaries, ...

I'll take W2K or newer any day over all that.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by smc
I wrote a clone of edit in x86 Assembly years ago. I think I used a combination of BIOS calls, DOS interrupts and writing directly to the video memory. A0000 to B0000 I think. Dam I am getting old... this was years ago.


Do you still have the source code?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
AcePilot
AcePilot
Thank you LessBread, that library and Windows Console article are exactly what I am looking for. You have to teach me some of your searching skills...

Quote:

Original post by Sneftel
But why would you want to do this anyway? If you don't want to use the Windows API (and I sure don't), why not use Qt? Or WxWidgets? Or FLTK? Or WTK? Or, hell, MFC?

I'm doing this mainly just out of curiosity. More specifically, I got tired of hunting down memory bugs in my game library (I was careful not to use the word 'engine') so I just started messing around with some exotic DOS applications I discovered on my computer. Thanks for those suggestions though, they seem like good replacements for the sensational Windows API that we all love.
smc
smc
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by smc
I wrote a clone of edit in x86 Assembly years ago. I think I used a combination of BIOS calls, DOS interrupts and writing directly to the video memory. A0000 to B0000 I think. Dam I am getting old... this was years ago.


Do you still have the source code?


If I do it is on a 3 1/4 floppy. I'll take a look. It was the final project for my class.
∫Mc
Perost
Perost
You could also try PDCurses, a curses implementation that works under windows. I've never used it, but I've used NCurses which should be similar, and it's pretty easy to use.
benryves
benryves
There was also a DOS version of Visual Basic if you feel brave enough.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
T1Oracle
T1Oracle
Quote:
Original post by benryves
There was also a DOS version of Visual Basic if you feel brave enough.

Reminds me of something I miss even more. QBasic. Ok... I just miss the stuff I made with it. I used to be creative :(

Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
... but I do miss Windows 3.11.


[wow] Really? All that fussing with drivers (sound drivers! video drivers! funky mouse troubles), segmented memory, bad programs that crash the entire system, malicious programs that cross process boundaries, ...

I'll take W2K or newer any day over all that.

*nostalgic euphoria WARNING!*

I never had that trouble on my IBM PS/1 with 2 MB RAM, 24 MHz 386SX, and 130MB Hard Drive. That thing booted faster than anything I have had since. Although I do admit that Vista's sleep mode is way faster, that's not the same.

I guess what I really miss were my first days using a computer when I didn't know any other programmers and I thought everything I did was cool.

I still remember the start up DOS prompt menu I made using batch programming. I think to start Windows it was 3 and Enter. :)
Programming since 1995.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by AcePilot
Thank you LessBread, that library and Windows Console article are exactly what I am looking for. You have to teach me some of your searching skills...


You're welcome. It's just a matter of picking the right words to stick into google and then discriminating between which results are junk and which are not. For that search I started with "curses library windows console" and then switched to "windows console graphics." Using a tabbed browser helps with checking out the results and skimming over some of them looking for additional links.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by smc
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by smc
I wrote a clone of edit in x86 Assembly years ago. I think I used a combination of BIOS calls, DOS interrupts and writing directly to the video memory. A0000 to B0000 I think. Dam I am getting old... this was years ago.


Do you still have the source code?


If I do it is on a 3 1/4 floppy. I'll take a look. It was the final project for my class.


If it's easy for you to find, I'd like to see it. If it's not easy for you to find, don't sweat it.

Where did you go to school? Here in the valley or elsewhere?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
... but I do miss Windows 3.11.


[wow] Really? All that fussing with drivers (sound drivers! video drivers! funky mouse troubles), segmented memory, bad programs that crash the entire system, malicious programs that cross process boundaries, ...

I'll take W2K or newer any day over all that.

*nostalgic euphoria WARNING!*

I never had that trouble on my IBM PS/1 with 2 MB RAM, 24 MHz 386SX, and 130MB Hard Drive. That thing booted faster than anything I have had since. Although I do admit that Vista's sleep mode is way faster, that's not the same.

I guess what I really miss were my first days using a computer when I didn't know any other programmers and I thought everything I did was cool.

I still remember the start up DOS prompt menu I made using batch programming. I think to start Windows it was 3 and Enter. :)


Quick boots were definitely one thing those old pc's were good at.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
ktuluorion
ktuluorion
I seem to recall an old version of Borland Turbo Pascal (6.0?) that had some kind of gui that was similar. I believe it was the same tool they used to actually make the gui for that version of Pascal, which was based in DOS.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest o

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.