Original Post
Hi everyone, I am in the process of designing a game where the battle engine will be much like FF Tactics where you have a 3D map for the battle field with 2D sprites for the characters. Does anyone happen to know how this engine worked in FFT? I'm guessing that the map is just a plain 3D model and not tile based. My reasoning for this is that some maps have objects that don't appear to be tile based and that you cannot have your character climb on (the Church in the first battle for example). So I created a 3D model of this map and I can display it fine in my game. The problem is finding where on the screen to blit a sprite that is standing on a certain tile position. Would I have to do something like: get the vertices that make up the tile in the 3D model, find their centre position, then transform that to screen space and blit the sprite there or is there a better way? I admit it is possible that the maps are tile based but the non-tile objects (like the church) are just separate 3D models. Thanks for any help that you are able to provide. It is greatly appreciated!! - Wolfenstein