Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Interested in a DirectShow Tutorial?

Started by KlePt0 Apr 27, 2001 at 10:59 AM 8 replies 5.1k views
Original Post
KlePt0
KlePt0
Hi, I'm about finished with my full-screen full motion video engine for arcade systems using DirectX8 and wondering if any one was interested in a tutorial on playing video in full screen directdraw. The reason i ask is there is flat-out nothing on the internet about this. I've seen tutorials on playing avi's here but they don't really go into depth. I was thinking of writing a series on putting together a video engine( i'm gonna assume you know directdraw.....for the most part). Well yeah i was just curious if there was any interest in this. If so, reply and I'll think about freeing up some time. Robert Warden Laser Shot Shooting Simulations www.lasershot.com Edited by - KlePt0 on April 27, 2001 12:01:41 PM
Bobby Ward - COM Guru in training
greg2
greg2
I am interested. I am also interested to know how to use DShow and DDraw in the same application in order to play a simple mp3 file (I have a problem in the compilation "strmiids.lib(...)already defined in main.obj").
MindWipe
MindWipe
Yeah I would also be very interrested in using DirectShow in fullscreen DirectDraw!

/MindWipe

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Grugnorr
Grugnorr
PLEASE DO!

What the hells!
What the hells!
LongingForDeath
LongingForDeath
I am interested too. But for DirectDraw ? Hmm, I don''t know. The problem is, that I''m working with DirectX 8 so there is no DirectDraw anymore. And I think it would make no sense to initialize DirectDraw only to play a video. After that I would have to switch to D3D. Is there a possibility to play a video in fullscreen with Direct3D instead ?
visit DyingHour
asd_de
asd_de
Yes sure!! I''m very interested in that, the only way I was able to play an intro video in my game was by calling "WinExec" with the "playwnd" sample from the directx sdk and passing a parameter as the filename!
About directdraw - yes, do it in directdraw!! Because as far as I understand, in direct3d, you can just change one surface flag and use that surface as a texture for a 3d object - in dx8 when needed.
Thanks a lot,
asd_de
KlePt0
KlePt0
Wow. Didn''t expect that kind of reaction.

Well I do plan to make it for DirectX 8 but because of the restrictrions invloving directdraw you have to use DirectDraw1. So I''ll also go over how to use it. *i have old copies of ddutil too.

Also involving direct3d its very similar and might even do one on that next but for now i have my work cut out for me.

Also the way i implement loading you can play almost any type of video aslong as the computer has a registered codec for it(pretty much anything if you have a newer version of media player). But this tutorial would really only be for video but I''ll see what I can do.

Thanks for the positive response.



Robert Warden
Lasershot Shooting Simulations

Bobby Ward - COM Guru in training
overbored
overbored
I am having the exact same problem! Does anybody know how to get around this?


quote:
Original post by greg2

I am interested. I am also interested to know how to use DShow and DDraw in the same application in order to play a simple mp3 file (I have a problem in the compilation "strmiids.lib(...)already defined in main.obj").




I''m building a game that uses DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectMusic, and DirectShow (for background music MP3 playing and, possibly later on, cutscenes). I just learned how to use DirectShow and added it to my game. However, ever since I did that, depending on the way I arrange my header files and INITGUID, I either get a build error telling me that a symbol (beginning with Ks... and located in the ksuuids.h) has already been defined in dmkctrl.h, or I get some link errors telling me that certain symbols have already been defined, or I get several link errors regarding re-defined items. DirectShow is evidently conflicting with all the other DirectX libraries, and there doesn''t seem to be a way around this. Could the problem possibly be version conflicts? I use DDraw7 and some version of DS that was available at the time of the April 2000 MSDN library. Please help, any suggestions would be much appreciated by a newbie programmer.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.